City, Campus Police Cooperate for Community Good

Staff photo
Bowling Green State University Campus Safety Deputy Chief Jon Luidhardt.

Bowling Green City police and BGSU Campus police have always been intertwined, there was a mutual aid agreement between each unit to help one another. From college games to big events, officers will have to work overtime. Each police station will work together for the community, while working nights each station will incorporate as well.

Jon Luidhardt, Deputy Chief of BGSU mentioned, “The city is a small department as well as the Campus. So, when there is a need for communication between the both, they both have an ongoing list of resources to be used.”

Campus Police deal with issues that are specifically on campus. While bigger issues around the larger portion of the city, are mainly dealt with City Police. To ensure a bond between the two, Jon Luidhardt mentioned, “A serious issue such as hazing while on campus would be dealt between both City and Campus Police.”

The struggles of the students while on campus, has been revolved around incidents such as underage drinking, marijuana complaints, and other scenarios specifically surrounding around larger groups of people. Most common are complaints regarding parking problems.
Deputy Chief Luidhardt said, “Criminal perspectives dealt on complaints lessen because of many complaints they receive regarding traffic/transportation.”

To keep students on campus controlled, security measures need to be put in place. Jon Luidhardt stated that 400,000 dollars were put towards cameras around the university. There are already Blue Light Emergency Phones that are scattered around campus, adding “We have researched other campuses regarding the Blue Light Emergency Phone and the best decision was to apply cameras.”

These are useful for students all over the campus.

Alerts and complaints are common around all campuses anywhere. Some could take place at dorms or even the recreation center, it varies between issues with students and how they are dealt with around campus.

Jon Luidhardt said, “There is a difference between city and campus alerts and complaints, but the most common are made around dorms.”

To conclude all the details from Campus Police, there are many tasks they deal with on a weekly basis. And each task needs to be looked at and debriefed well when trying to complete it.