Officers, Parking Services Ensure Safety at BGSU

Staff photo
Bowling Green State University Campus Safety Deputy Chief Jon Luidhardt.

Safety is often forgotten in today’s age, but at BGSU it is thriving due to the work of the police and parking service departments.

BGSU’s Deputy Chief Jon Luidhardt said the safety protocols and regulations make the community safer.

He said “we also recently updated our pepper ball system. Pepper ball is kind of like paint ball but it shoots balls that are full of pepper spray, on impact the balls explode then the effects of pepper spray happen.” (Jon Luidhardt)

These guns impact the safety of campus by providing a non-lethal strategy to stopping violence around school.

He also said new camera poles are being set up around the campus to provide visual evidence of crimes or issues that could occur.

“if there is an emergency or if there is something going on in an area our dispatchers have access to the camera, and they can log on to the system and that would allow them to see what is going on.” (Jon Luidhardt)

he also talked about the committee he volunteers in called Wood County 1st which is a support group for any officers in the Bowling Green area.

Feedback is especially important in the community.

“Feedback was something the department was open to and they are always willing to have tough conversations to make their department better.” (Jon Luidhardt)

Parking services also play a role in the safety of the community Aileen Berry and Michael O’Halloren talked about the many ways they help out on campus.

They mentioned how parking rules need to be consistent, because if they aren’t then things can be very unfair from person to person. Aileen Berry says “we need to treat everyone fairly it’s not fair if I enforce it for him but don’t enforce it for you, we don’t let them slide were just trying to be consistent.” (Aileen Berry)

The safety and reliability on campus is a very nice sight. The shuttle busses that the parking services department provide help students and residents in the community get to places fast and safely.

The BGSU police department provides an escort system that will make sure to walk students to their dorm in order to make sure that the students feel safe and protected.

These departments at BGSU help ensure that the campus and community are protected and safe.