Application offers multiple editing features for pictures

One photo can now tell the story of several.

Pic Stitch is an application for both iPhones and Androids that places multiple images into a collage and offers free frames and borders with add-ons costing 99 cents each.

It offers editing tools such as enhance, effects, brightness and contrast for the pictures placed in the frames.

There are many options to manipulate imagery and Pic Stitch is just one of many apps that offer tools for manipulation, said Anthony Fontana, an instructor in the art department at the University.

“A lot more people are manipulating images today,” Fontana said. “It is the democratization of photography. What used to be a highly trained skill, everyone can do now.”

This app offers 15 pages of different layouts to choose from. On each page there are 16 frames.

“I think [Pic Stitch] is pretty cool and I actually do have it,” Fontana said. “It is a great way to tell stories and combine a bunch of images together.”

Freshman Ashley Ryan said she enjoys using Pic Stitch, but usually just for Instagram.

“[Pic Stitch] makes it easy to create a collage quickly to upload,” Ryan said.

A free version and a paid version are offered with distinct differences.

When the free version is downloaded, only 74 of the 240 frames are unlocked for use.

There are two packs students can purchase with the paid version. In the frames pack, all 240 frames are offered. Once this pack is purchased, any new frames released in the future will be free.

The borders pack gives the app the ability to change border size, add color and texture to borders and round the corners of the frames.

Being able to combine several pictures into one and customize the frame, size and color, is what convinced junior Abigail Masters to download the app.

“I’ve always wanted [Pic Stitch] but Android never had it since recently,” Masters said. “It’s a cool way to make collages for different occasions or events. It is another photo sharing tool that gives you a lot of options for editing.”

People do not have the time or patience to go through albums on Facebook or through several pictures on other social media websites, so by placing all these images into one there is a better chance all of these pictures will be seen, Fontana said.

“One image gains a lot of attention, so by collecting many images into one showing a story, it becomes a lot more interesting,” Fontana said.

Ryan said she likes using Pic Stitch, but does not use it that often because the export feature only gives a few options.

“I think it should give more options of websites to export the pictures to,” Ryan said.