Women’s soccer prepares for tough match against IUPUI

The BG women’s soccer team will have the opportunity to overcome their loss to Butler as they take on IUPUI Sept. 8, in Indianapolis at 1 p.m.

The Falcons fell to Butler 2-1 in OT at home last Saturday. The Falcons now sit at 0-2 for the season as they go to Indianapolis this weekend.

In order to maintain the momentum from the Butler game, head coach Lindsay Basalyga looks to “fine tune” what her team is good at and present the best form of that on the field. “For us, it’s about figuring out what works for us and the style of play that we want to play and commit to who we are trying to become as a program. We’re not focusing too much on what other teams are doing.”

Coach Basalyga looks to improve the team’s transitions from defense to offense, to create more dangerous scoring opportunities and to keep possession of the ball. Her main focus this week however is the ability to keep the other team from scoring for Sunday’s game. “The players just have to commit to keeping the ball out of the back of the net,” said Basalyga. “Sometimes that means risking your face … it’s a matter of whatever it takes to keep the ball out of the back of the net.”

The Falcons will face a team this weekend in IUPUI that is undefeated on their home turf. IUPUI currently sits at 2-1-1 overall and 2-0-1 at home.

Co-captain Alyssa Carmack is not worried about the added pressure of IUPUI’s undefeated record at home however. Rather, she knows her team must focus on their identity first and foremost. “I don’t think there’s any pressure on us,” Carmack said. “Like coach always says, we don’t have any pressure this year. It’s about us. We’re focusing on ourselves. We want the best results that we can get, and it’s just on us and not them.”

Co-captain Jenny Fowler has complete trust in her coach through this tough situation and has faith the program is moving in the right direction. “I think she’s done really well,” Fowler said. “She’s making a lot of changes for the program and putting it in the right direction that it needs to be.”

The BG women’s soccer team will have the opportunity to continue to find their identity as a team this Sunday at 1 p.m. as they head to Indianapolis to battle IUPUI.