Falcons win two against Bearcats

The BG Men’s Rugby Club took both ends of a double header against Cincinnati in Mid American Conference rugby action on Saturday by scores of 53-14 and 56-12. The victories set up next week’s match between the conference’s only undefeated teams  — BG and Miami University.

The first half was dominated by BG. The Bearcats managed to cross the 50 yard line twice in the first half. While owning the pathways to the end zone, the Falcons also stole seven of the Bearcats scrums, eight of their line-outs and forced turnovers on six of Cincinnati’s kickoffs.

With the large amount of turnovers by the Bearcats, it was no surprise that the Falcons jumped out to a 39-0 lead on a team that had early season title aspirations.

Wing Nolan Cavano scored twice on a pair of long runs up the sideline. Cavano, who crossed the goal line sixteen times this past fall, is on pace to break that mark this fall. Prop Dane Szente added a try and two conversions and hooker Mike Brown, fullback Matt Marquette, scrum half Mike Powell and fullback Mitch Sora added solo tries.

”We came out like a ball of fire in the first half, aggressive and forcing [Cincinnati] turnovers,” said BG captain Dane Szente. “But we slacked off in the second half and got a little sloppy and gave up a pair stupid tries on some blown defensive assignments.”

Head coach Tony Mazzarella liked the Falcons’ first half performance.

“We looked pretty crisp in the first half, not so crisp in the second,” said BG head coach Tony Mazzarella. “We were ahead so much that it didn’t matter, but in a tight game against someone like Miami a lapse in concentration can be a death sentence.”

The Bearcats put a couple points on the board in the second half, but BG’s lead was never threatened as the Falcons matched them point for point. Szente stole a ball out of a ruck and flew 20 yards down the field before anybody realized the ball was gone. He then converted the kick.

Freshman fly half Teddy Terezis broke a pinball game style run, spinning out of the grasp of a half dozen Cincy tacklers before finally touching the ball down in the end zone. Szente’s kick made the final score 53-14.

In the second non-league match, Cinicinnati scored right off the kickoff and looked like they were going to make a game of it, only to watch the Falcons settle in and reel off seven tries. Wing Cole Shaffer did most of the damage in the 56-12 victory, scoring two tries and hitting one conversion attempt. The speedy wing Sam Polzin posted two tries on a pair of 85 yard runs and fullback Mitch Sora added a try and two conversion kicks. Center Griffin Palmer, lock Alex Cranmer, prop Cody Wilson and hooker Zack Wiederhold also scored tries.

Next Saturday the Falcon ruggers will host Miami University at 1 p.m. at the College Park Rugby field. Both clubs are still unbeaten in a competitive league where just one loss is usually enough to mean no conference championship for the loser.