Drama series attracts viewers through writing and acting

“Breaking Bad” isn’t a typical television show; the hit drama has become a world-wide phenomenon.

Walter White, a former Chemistry teacher, becomes a criminal when he is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Knowing that he would be unable to provide for his family on a teacher’s salary, he uses his Chemistry skills for something else entirely: cooking Crystal Meth.

And if that isn’t enough to grab your attention, he also teams up with a former student named Jesse Pinkman. Besides an original concept, the show offers much more.

Becca Cragin, instructor in the department of Popular Culture, said in an email that “Breaking Bad” focuses on more complex issues that other shows don’t touch.

“‘Breaking Bad’ is widely recognized as a quality show, comprised of excellent writing, acting and cinematography,” Cragin said. “It is a prominent example of the recent trend in television toward more complex and serialized narratives which allow the storyline to build across episodes. This kind of long form of television allows viewers to invest in an extended story arc that explores more complex issues, and allows deeper identification with characters.”

“Breaking Bad” has caught the attention of college students all across the country for a variety of reasons.

Junior Jacob Diehl was brought in by the unusual main character and the heart pounding plot. He said “the chemistry between Walt and Jesse” kept him watching more and more.

“It’s intense, displays a unique main character and has great acting,” Diehl said. “The general population is interested in the anti-hero.”

Although some viewers were brought in by the plot, the complex characters were the selling point for many others. All of the characters face difficult decisions causing them to reconsider who they really are and who they are going to become.

Sophomore Kelby Ricks was brought in by the relatable values and continued watching because of Walt’s drastic personality change.

“It’s really well written and has really good character development,” Ricks said. “It’s relatable to most audiences and features well-known actors.”

The show is finally coming to an end, as the season five finale airs Sunday at 9 p.m. on AMC.

“I got really invested in the show and fell in love with the characters and plot-line,” Ricks said.