Women’s soccer host Evansville after loss against Detroit

The BG women’s soccer team returns to Cochrane Field this Sunday, Sept. 22. The Falcons will take on Evansville in their final match before beginning MAC play.

The Purple Aces are 5-2-1 on the season, including an away record of 1-1-1. The Falcons sit at an overall record of 0-5-0 coming off of their loss to the University of Detroit Mercy on Tuesday. Head coach Lindsay Basalyga and her Falcons are looking to fine-tune several things for Sunday’s match, some of which are attacking and transitions.

“Over the next few days we’re going to continue to define ourselves in the attack,” Basalyga said. “I think we’ve done a great job over the last few games in transition and possessing through transition; things we weren’t seeing last spring.”

Evansville leads their opponents 12-5 in total goals for the season and has dominated in taking shots, outnumbering their opponents 155-92. The Falcons, however, trail their opponents in both categories, so they will need to have a very strong match defensively if they want to win. Goalkeeper Lauren Cadel said her team is doing well defensively overall. Cadel said one thing her teammates could do to help her is to go up and challenge every possession.

“I think defensively so far we’re doing a pretty good job. We just have to make sure we’re going up in the air and challenging for every ball,” Cadel said.

Getting ready to enter MAC play, the Falcons could benefit greatly from getting their first win Sunday and adding some momentum. This may seem like a potentially stressful situation for a young Falcon team with nine true freshman, but senior Kaitlyn Tobin said the freshman are up for the challenge.

“I think all the freshman came in ready to work and they’re doing a great job at mixing into the lineup,” said Tobin.

BG will have the opportunity to break their winless streak this Sunday against Evansville. The match is set to tip off at 1 p.m. at Cochrane Field. Following the match, the Falcons will be signing autographs and holding a free youth clinic.