Apple announces new versions of iPhone 5, offers faster capability

For Wendy Fuller, the way Apple comes out with new technology is comparable to the way textbook companies seem to always be coming out with new editions.

“People can’t deal with what was good a couple of years ago, they keep buying the next thing,” said Fuller, a sophomore.

And Apple keeps coming out with it.

This week, the company announced two new versions of the iPhone 5, the 5c and 5s. The first offers different colors and a plastic construction instead of glass, and the second offers more features than the iPhone 5, such as a fingerprint identity sensor.

Doug Ewing, assistant professor of Marketing at the University, said the new models, especially the 5c, could have come about because of pressure on the company.

“I think for the last year and probably much longer than that, Apple’s been under pressure to compete with Android,” he said.

While Ewing said Apple usually dominates a higher market, the 5c is being sold for $99 in the 16 gigabyte model on the average two year contract, according to the keynote by Apple on Tuesday.

Some students may be worried about the condition of the phone itself.

“You’re paying for the quality,” Fuller said about the $99 phone.

Her friend, Rodrigo Patterson, said the 5c may be cheaper, but “it’s also plastic.”

“Yes, they have color, but you can get a colorful case for way cheaper than a new iPhone,” Patterson said.

Ewing said the phone “might appeal to people that are into personalizing the color of their phone,” but that “mostly people will be confused.”

Fuller said she worries about the fact that it’s plastic.

“If your iPhone could crack by dropping it, imagine what plastic could do,” she said.

While it is $99, Ewing said that it’s still about $10 to $20 more expensive than the iPhone 4.

Freshman Rachel Bodnar said she’d never spend $99 on the 5c, but she thinks Apple is “trying to be kind to their fan base.”

“I think most of the products are overpriced for what they’re offering, though,” she said. “I’d never spend $99 on it.”

When the phones are released for sale and pre-order, Ewing said he doesn’t think it’s going to be the “complete bedlam” seen when Apple usually releases something.

But, there will “always be those people who have to have the new Apple thing,” he said.

Ewing expects that with the new phones, even the plastic one, the quality Apple usually has will still be there.

“I think what we’re seeing is Apple’s just being pretty conservative and not changing a whole lot and seeing how it goes,” Ewing said.