Kamikaze’s becomes Shots Inc., promotes new $2 shots menu

Kamikaze’s on East Wooster Street took its final dive Aug. 16, becoming Shots Inc., under new ownership.

The owners of Nate and Wally’s purchased the bar and “wanted a new start,” Manager Andy Gibson said of the name change.

A new business approach is behind the new start.

The bar promotes a new shot menu, containing 20 choices all for $2, including five varieties of Skittle and Jolly Rancher shots. The goal is to reach 100 shots.

“What we really want to emphasize is that the location is prime for it,” Gibson said. “It’s the first location when you go downtown and the last stop on the way home.”

Starting the night with shots from the bar is the way to go as the drinks are ready to go when ordered, he said.

“All we have to do is line up a glass and we are ready to go,” Gibson said.

Some students think this is a good way to start a night out.

“It’s a great idea,” said senior Sean Moyer, who has been to Shots Inc., a few times since the name change. “[My friends] and I started the night there and it was a good way to start off. We did a few shots and went to the next bar.”

Although the bar pushes its shots, it still has a beer and hard liquor selection. It also kept the same happy hour on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. that Kami’s had.

“It’s pretty similar to what it used to be, but it has a better vibe,” Moyer said. “It’s more colorful.”

Though some students like the new bar, some aren’t used to the change.

“I liked Kami’s because of the music,” said sophomore Donesha Jones. “It was always full and everyone was interacting with each other. I liked the atmosphere.”

While she has not yet been to Shots, Jones said change might not be bad and hopes the bar is even better. She plans on going soon.

“Yeah, it will take time to get used to the change,” Moyer said. “But it could have been turned into a coffee shop; BG needs bars.”

Gibson encourages people who have their doubts about the new bar to try it out.

“Once you step inside and see the new look and give it a shot, you’ll feel right at home,” he said.