Career, Passion shouldn’t be a chore

Since I was 12 years old, my walls have always been covered with pictures of my favorite bands I had ripped out of Alternative Press magazine. I would’ve never thought I’d be their intern one day.

I used to sit in my room for hours cutting out images from the glossy pages of the newest issue so I could make collages of Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday and every other band the magazine featured that month. Now, I get to see bands I once could only see from afar walk through the office while I write about their latest tours.

Looking back on walking into the AP office for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was instantly hit with the nostalgia of my adolescence. The moment you walk into the office, the walls are covered in framed issues starting with their first edition 28 years ago. I was even able to remember the very first issue I ever bought. It was then I realized I was living out my pre-teen dream.

When I met the writers, who are also my bosses for the summer, it didn’t strike me until later when I thought, “Wow, I’ve been reading their articles for almost 10 years now.” It made me think about what I really want to do with my life as a writer. Here are all these former journalism students, just like me, who are doing what I’ve always wanted to do. How can I aspire to be like them? Will I ever get to do what they do? After all these years, is music journalism still their passion?

From what I’ve learned, music is the biggest part of these writers’ lives. When they’re not writing about these artists they’re talking to them as friends, supporting them at their shows, meeting up with them for dinner, listening to their music and most importantly, reaching out to their fans. My boss even had Andrew W.K. attend his wedding. While I might not have been an intern very long, I’ve come to realize more than the infamous goals of money and fame, I want to be able to call up my favorite band and grab a bite to eat with them before their show.

I’ve always wanted to ask the writers what it was like for them when they first met their favorite artist. I wonder if they were starstruck or if they carried on as humble as they are now. Some of the writers have worked at AP since the beginning and while criticism and letdowns in music exist, I think their daily attitudes reflect that their job isn’t an obligation as much as it is a hobby. Isn’t that what it’s all about? Like all professions, the ultimate goal is to be happy with what you’re doing whether it’s being a doctor, an accountant, a scientist or an athlete. Doing what you love shouldn’t be a chore. I would’ve never thought my nose bleed section resume out of the hundreds of applicants would be the one of two sitting in the front row. While I do complain about school work, having two jobs in different cities and scrambling to find my head, I wouldn’t trade it for anything because it’s what I love doing.

If you’re pursuing something you’re passionate about, if you look forward to doing it all over again the next day, then you’re doing something right.