Students direct comedy movie

University and high school students can relate to the goings on in the new movie “Porking Mandy.”

The film was written and directed by Bowling Green high school graduate, Jeremy Cordy, and was filmed at his grandparent’s barn in Grand Rapids.

Cordy said the film came about out of desperation and being in the right place at the right time.

“I made it up on the spot and wrote the script in two weeks,” said Cordy.

The film centers around Mandy Rogers, who gets dumped by her boyfriend the day of prom. Rather than facing the humiliation of going to prom stag, she announces she will be attending the anti-prom party.

When the boys of Bobcat High catch wind of the news they all attend the party in hopes that they will be the one that gets with the newly single Mandy Rogers.

Alumnus Dylan Stretchberry plays Roy who is your average high school jock. He, along with every other male at Bobcat High, wants to “pork” Mandy.

“The film is a comedy,” Stretchberry said. “I would relate it to ‘American Pie’ for its over-the-top high school humor.”

Jane Davenport, who plays Mandy’s awkward friend Ashley, said the film strays from who is getting with Mandy and allows the audience to get to know and relate to the other characters.

“Viewers can expect some outrageous festivities,” Davenport said. “Some they can relate to, some they never thought they’d see.”

University senior Justin Betancourt, who plays Chubby in the film, said the movie includes a wide range of character personalities.

“You’ll see a magician, a clown, a nerd and a jock,” Betancourt said. “All the high school clichés are represented and some you wouldn’t expect.”

Betancourt said a surprise ending on who gets with Mandy is in store for the audience. The film has a surprise ending that will catch viewers off guard, he said.

“I don’t want to say too much, but it is something you’d never expect,” Betancourt said.

Cordy plans to enter the film in festivals like Sundance, Davenport said.

The movie is set to premier on June 27 at 7 p.m. at the Maumee Indoor Theatre.

Presale tickets for the premier can be ordered online or purchased at Grounds For Thought for $8 or at the door for $10.

“I hope people are going to want to laugh,“ Cordy said. “I just want people to have a good time with this movie.”