Cyber Monday appeals to many

Just when you think the holiday shopping madness is over, it’s not.

Cyber Monday was created a few years ago for shoppers who want to buy gifts from their computer. Businesses began to realize how connected society is to the Internet.

“It’s easier, more convenient and doesn’t take up a lot of shopping time,” said Mariana Mitova, apparel merchandising and product development professor.

Cyber Monday is Black Friday for the Internet users. People can find just as many sales on Monday as they do Friday.

In fact, sometimes stores will extend Black Friday through the weekend and onto Cyber Monday.

“In order to diversify the two holidays, I think stores try to make sales different, but all in all it just depends on the store and the sale,” Mitova said.

Junior Tiffany Busch said shopping online allows her to avoid the stress of holiday shopping.

“I don’t know if you have been Black Friday shopping, but it is crazy,” Busch said. “I can sit at home, find the item I want without wasting gas and it is brought to me.”

But just because sales continue on throughout the weekend doesn’t mean revenue will rise. In fact, revenue will stay about the same as Black Friday.

The purpose was to expand the shopping period and sales for people and online was the way to do it, Mitova said.

“It keeps people shopping knowing there are more sales and people don’t have to leave their bed to get them,” she said.

More than 131 million holiday shoppers will shop on Cyber Monday, and one in five people will use their cell phone to do it, according to the National Retail Federation website.

“Recognizing that mobile websites and apps cleaned up and their supply chain operations ready for record-breaking digital holiday traffic. We expect to see more focus on mobile as we head into December as companies look for unique ways to complete the holiday season,” according to a Shop.org statement by Vicki Cantrell, executive director on the National Retail Federation website.

But just because more people prefer online shopping doesn’t mean everyone likes it.

Senior Sarah Stamm said even though Cyber Monday is convenient, she would rather make the trip to the mall.

“I usually will see stuff in the store that I don’t think about when I make Christmas lists,” Stamm said. “It is more personal and who doesn’t enjoy shopping?”