Chris Jans to be announced as Men’s head basketball coach

The BG men’s basketball team will announce the filling of its head coaching vacancy later this week.

The athletic department confirmed that Wichita State University assistant coach Chris Jans will fill the position previously held by Louis Orr and that a press conference for the official announcement will be held later this week.

Jans’ Shockers fell earlier Sunday afternoon to The University of Kentucky ending their perfect season and road to the Final Four. He was the assistant and right hand man to head coach Gregg Marshall and was an important piece to the puzzle that took the Shockers to the Final Four last season before they lost to Louisville.

Jans got his first head-coaching job in 1996 at Kirkwood Community College. In his second season he took a struggling team and won the NJCAA national championship, he also won NJCAA national coach of the year honors.

Jans will bring experience from Wichita State that will be instrumental in the building of the basketball program. He was Marshall’s assistant since he arrived in 2007 and was an important figure in building that mid-major program to the level it is now. He leaves a team that finished the season 35-1.