Comedic opera to premier at University

Some people may think watching opera is boring, but the cast of “Die Fledermaus” are hoping to change their minds.

“Die Fledermaus,” premiering at the Donnell Theatre this weekend, is an operetta about a comedic story of one friend getting revenge on another for a prank.

Director Eric Gibson said “Die Fledermaus” is a popular operetta in the theatre world.

Gibson doesn’t want people to be turned off by the word opera.

“People think it’s just fat ladies singing,” Gibson said. “But it is much more engaging.”

This particular show has been showcased as an opera, but in reality is an operetta. An opera has more serious undertones, while an operetta is light-hearted and fun.

“It has a lot of recognizable melodies,” Gibson said. “It is really a pleasure to see.”

Lead actress Grace Hirt agrees the show has great music, though she said people will be intimidated by the word “opera.”

“It’s fun,” Hirt said. “There is really memorable music. It’s a feel good show.”

Hirt said that “opera” is a scary word to a lot of people that are new to this kind of music. But she is not new to it at all; singing is actually her main career goal.

The comedic aspect of Die Fledermaus should bring in more of an audience.

“It’s funny, and I think people will laugh a lot,” Hirt said. “No matter their level of experience with this music.”

Gibson said “Die Fledermaus” is a wonderful show that needs to be done.

This show combines theatre, music and inspired great literature. Gibson is hoping a wide variety of people that enjoy those aspects of life will come and be entertained.

The show has a cast of about 30, and is working with a big chorus as well, which is two-thirds more than they do for other shows.

Auditions for “Die Fledermaus” happened last semester, and the practices began at the beginning of this semester.

The cast has been working overtime because this show is earlier in the semester than previous shows. They have practice twice a day, a total of about five hours a day.

The coordinating for the show is going well, and no major problems have happened in the process.

Senior Zachary Stein said he is excited about attending the show because it is related to his major, which is German.

“Immersing myself into my major and widening my perspective will be exciting,” Stein said.

Stein said art is important because it can give people different perspectives into the minds of others.

It will be two and a half hours long and split into three acts.

The show will be performed on Friday, Feb. 21 and Sunday, Feb. 23 at 3 p.m.