Wide receiver Ronnie Moore uses his family as inspiration for the game he loves

Ronnie+Moore
Ronnie Moore

Some say he is speedy, some say he is quick and some say he is shifty, but Bowling Green wide receiver Ronnie Moore doesn’t know what makes him such an offensive weapon.

What he does know is that he loves the game of football and that keeps a smile on his face.

“I love it,” Moore said. “I can take my anger out on people, big or little. I love everything about football.”

It’s more than just football to Moore, it is something he grew up with, it’s a “family thing,” he said.

Many in his family have played football. His father Ron played in college at Northwestern Oklahoma State University and one of Moore’s older brothers played in college before he got in some trouble and was kicked out.

It’s now Ronnie’s turn as the next Moore to play Division 1 football, and he has taken advantage of that opportunity.

In 22 games played, he has a total of 1,038 receiving yards and 11 total touchdowns with one coming on the ground this year.

Back home in Sanford, Florida, Moore always wanted to play Division 1 football, but he thought it was going to be easy.

“As a young one, everybody is like ‘Yeah, I want to go play at Florida State or Miami,’” Moore said. “I thought it was easy, but it’s not. You have to grind for everything; nobody is going to give you anything.”

Moore was the starting running back for Seminole High School dating back to his sophomore year. That year, Moore decided to stop another hobby of his, racing dirt bikes, to focus on football.

“My dad came to me and was like, ‘I think it’s time to drop motocross and focus on football,’” Moore said.

He agreed and things changed from there. He became a highly recruited prospect going into his junior year until he tore his groin.

After the injury, some major schools backed off, but after a good senior year, he committed to Cincinnati and head coach Butch Jones. Things changed again for Moore when he went on his official visit to Cincinnati. Jones left for the head coaching position at the University of Tennessee.

Moore was left out, away from the game he loved. He decommitted from Cincinnati before former Falcons head coach Dave Clawson, who had a good relationship with Jones, reached out to Moore.

“Clawson called Butch and asked him, ‘Who out of all of your recruits was the best one?’” Moore said. “Butch said me.”

Moore committed to BG and from there he has been doing what he does best, playing football.

On Nov. 13, 2013, the Falcons went on the road to Eastern Michigan University and Moore recorded the first college start of his career.

Reminiscing about that game brought a huge smile to Moore’s face as he said, “Everybody was telling me all week that I had to step up. They kept asking me, ‘Are you going to step up?’ I was like, ‘If you give me a chance and see what I got, I will show you.’”

Show them is what he did as he had seven receptions for 161 yards and three touchdowns.

There is a saying Moore often tells himself called, “Great Under Major Pressure,” Moore said. “It goes, ‘When the spotlight is on you, what are you going to do?’”

He shined in that spotlight and then again in the spotlight of the Mid-American Championship game. Moore recorded four receptions for 145 yards and one touchdown.

“When the spotlight is on me, I just do what I do best, play football,” Moore said. “No matter who I’m going against, what day or how cold it is, put the ball in my hand and I’m going to make plays.”

Moore has 491 yards receiving this year, a team leading four receiving touchdowns and one rushing touchdown. His best statistical game of this season came against the University of Massachusetts where he totalled 253 all-purpose yards with one receiving and one rushing touchdown.

Despite crossing the 1,000-yard receiving mark and the Falcons being in a position to go back to Detroit for the MAC Championship, Moore hasn’t forgotten his motivation, his family.

He calls his mother everyday and works to follow in his father’s footsteps by making it to the pros.

“I call my mom everyday just to hear her voice,” he said.

Moore had the chance to go home and see his family this past weekend after what he said felt like forever.

“I feel like I have my whole family on my back every day,” Moore said. “I wake up every day with a smile …. I’m just grateful to be waking up every day playing the game I love.”