Championship up for grabs in battle between MAC East and West

Well it is that time of the year again for college football fans — it’s Championship Week. Better than that, it is Mid-American Conference Championship week, and the Falcons are back playing for all of the marbles.

After what many could say was a disappointing regular season, the Falcons have found themselves back in the same place that brought them so much joy just one year ago.

It’s a different feeling this year, though. Last year’s team came in on a four-game winning streak. This season the Falcons are coming in on a two-game losing streak.

The loss to rival Toledo can be forgiven, but the second came on Senior Day against a 4-7 Ball State team. That second loss has many fans and students that I’ve spoken with more than worried about how the Falcons will play against Northern Illinois.

What we’ve heard all season is that the MAC West is by far the best division. The loss to the second worst team in the MAC West has brought up the question, what would BG be ranked in the MAC West?

I questioned that until recently. I thought to myself, ‘Wait, that doesn’t matter.’ It doesn’t matter because BG is in the MAC East division and the championship comes down to which team can perform best at Ford Field for 60 minutes.

It may be hard to argue for the Falcons with the way they have played recently, but one thing is for sure: anything can happen.

In the week leading up to the Toledo game, head coach Dino Babers said that people tend to have great games in rivalry games. While that is very true, it is also true when it comes to championship games.

It’s just something about the pressure, the lights and all the people watching, that brings out the stars. Look at last year for example. All the talk coming in was on undefeated NIU and Heisman candidate Jordan Lynch.

Sixty minutes later a guy named Matt Johnson had the best game of his young career, throwing for 393 yards and five touchdowns.

I’m not saying that James Knapke will repeat Johnson’s performance. I am saying that when Knapke takes the opening snap, anything can happen.

He could have the best game of his life. Travis Greene could, Gehrig Dieter could and Nick Johnson could. When the lights turn on anything can happen. Anyone can have the game of their lives.

Don’t count these Falcons out. While a five-loss season wasn’t expected, the Falcons are back where they wanted to be. They are one game away from repeating as champions.

It only takes 60 minutes and anything can happen in that time.