Students learn about exercise science careers while participating in activities at the Rec Center

Students came out to the fifth annual Exercise Science Fair on Friday in the Recreation and Wellness Center to get the chance to interact with professionals in a fun environment to learn more about Exercise Science jobs and opportunities.

Adjunct Professor of Kinesiology Erica Moyer discussed the purpose of the Exercise Science Fair.

“The Kinesiology 4500 class requires students to put on an event in the fitness field, the exercise science fair gave students a way to be able to put on an event, to free range what they wanted to experience and focus on in the fair,” Moyer said.

Students this semester brought in professionals from different fields such as corporate fitness, physical and occupational therapy and cardiac rehab. At the Exercise Science Fair, students had a chance to ask professionals questions about what to expect in the field, job outlook and to network.

“I really enjoy it because you can have that one on one conversation with them and they can ask any questions on what they’re interested in,” said Health Educator at the Recreations and Wellness center, Karyn Smith. “So for me I oversee the fitness programs at the Rec, but I also to faculty and staff wellness and there are a lot of students who are interested in more work site corporate wellness so they can ask questions and what I have to offer them for an internships.”

The fair was hosted in the rock wall room with professionals at different booths providing information. This is a new change for the Exercise Science Fair. In the past semesters they’ve had a formal setting having a lecture platform. Not receiving the feedback desired, they changed the setting to have a fun environment where students can rock climb, get some food and win raffles.

“It’s more personal and you ask them direct questions and really get a feel for what they are talking about and what they do for a living so actually coming in and interacting with them is better than sitting in a big room and listening to somebody talk, and asking questions one on one verses standing up in-front of the a big group of people,” said Exercise Science major Maurice Gregory. “We got the rock wall so students can come out and climb the wall, to me its more active and fun rather than just coming in and listening to a people talk when you do that the whole semester already.”

The exercise science fair is for anyone in or interested in the major and wanted to hear about opportunities in the field.

“I hope that when people come in they get a opportunities to ask questions that they maybe wouldn’t get to do in another setting a lot of people are afraid to call or go do observations on their own so I hope this is an opportunity where people feel more comfortable to asking and getting questions they want answers to,” Moyer said. “We’ve done this now for five semesters and each semester it gets more popularity and we get the word out more about what were about and what we can offer students.”