Gurney and Jones named Players of the Week

Bowling Green State University (7-17, 4-10 MAC) and Central Michigan University (14-10, 9-1 MAC) each had a player given a weekly honor. The junior Falcon catcher, Kyle Gurney was named MAC position player of the week. The Chippewas’ relief pitcher Jake Jones was named MAC pitcher of the week.

Kyle Gurney helped turn things around for a struggling Bowling Green team. The Falcons won four of five games during the week, three over Akron (8-18, 6-10 MAC) and one over Big 10 opponent Michigan State (12-13). Gurney was fantastic all week, starting off with a pair of RBI against the Spartans. He had two hits in each of the games against the Zips. Incredibly, he hit four home runs in the three games against Akron. Gurney drove in nine runs in the series and finished the week with a .429 batting average, 1.048 slugging, 11 RBIs, and 22 total bases. Gurney has extended his hitting streak to 13 games.

Jake Jones had himself a great week on the mound, appearing in two games for the Chips against the Bobcats of Ohio (11-12, 5-7 MAC). In the first game, Jones entered while CMU was losing, but pitched 1.2 hitless innings with three strikeouts and earned the win in the comeback victory. In the second game he pitched in, he went 3 full innings without allowing a run again. He only allowed one hit, and struck out a career-high 5 Ohio batters and once again earning the win as a pitcher.

Kyle Gurney and the Bowling Green Falcons will take on perpetual baseball power-house Kent State (10-12, 5-5 MAC) this coming weekend. Jones’ Chippewas will face off against Northern Illinois (5-20, 5-8 MAC) in a four-game series from Friday to Sunday.

Watch out for some other MAC series this weekend:

Western Michigan (6-17, 4-6 MAC) at Akron

Eastern Michigan (10-15, 6-6 MAC) at Miami (11-14, 7-7 MAC)

Toledo (13-14, 7-8 MAC) at Ohio

Ball State (17-9, 12-2 MAC) at Oregon (18-10)