Ohio lawmakers propose their own ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill

DSG Bill – via BG24

Watch this story in this week’s BG24 newscast:

House Bill 616, also known as the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, was was introduced by Ohio lawmakers on March 4.

This bill is similar to the controversial bill of the same nickname that was recently passed in Florida. According to the bill, any curriculum discussion about gender identity and sexuality would be banned in classrooms from kindergarten through third grade. 

The bill also states that fourth through 12th grade classrooms are allowed to talk about the topic of gender identity and sexuality, but not “in any manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.”

Parents and other individuals are allowed to also file complaints against teachers or staff members who they believe have violated the bill.

According to the H.B. 616, anyone who violates it could have their teaching licenses suspended, revoked or admonished, and the district can also withhold funding. Both of these punishments are determined on the severity of the violation.

In addition, the bill also states, “the school district board shall not select any textbook, instructional material, or academic curriculum that promotes any divisive or inherently racist concepts.” The concepts listed in the bill are, critical race theory, intersectional theory, “The 1619 project,” diversity, equity and inclusion learning and any concept that the school board might deem divisive or inherently racist.