Baseball: The Chips won’t quit

On Saturday, Central Michigan baseball (23-10, 17-1) swept their fourth consecutive doubleheader in a row. The Chips were able to take advantage of their matchup against a struggling Bowling Green (9-24, 6-16 MAC) squad to win their 15th and 16th straight Mid-American Conference games.

The first game of the doubleheader was highlighted by a stellar pitching performance by starter Andrew Taylor. In the seven-inning opener, Taylor pitch 6 1/3 giving up one run on three hits, while striking out 12 Falcon batters. BGSU’s one run came off a pinch-hit solo homer off the bat of Jared Johnson.

The Chippewas had a season-high 18 hits in the game. Home runs from Zach Lechnir and Adam Proctor helped the offense on their way to nine runs in the game. Aidan Shepardson and Jakob Marsee both had three hits in the 9-1 win over BG.

In the second game, the story was all Shepardson. He got the game started for CMU with a two-run double in the first inning. He followed that up with a two-run single in the fourth. Another hit and a sac fly would give Shepardson three hits and five RBI in the nightcap.

Garrett Navarra got the start for Central Michigan and pitched five innings, allowing four runs on nine hits and a walk. Navarra struck out four in his start. Ryan Palmblad pitched the final four innings in relief and struck out six while only allowing three hits and no runs on his way to his second save of the season.

Central Michigan looks to continue their strong conference play against an Akron (11-24, 9-15 MAC) team that hasn’t been able to gain any traction.

Watch the other series from the MAC this weekend:

Miami (14-21, 10-13 MAC) at Kent State (13-18, 8-10 MAC)

Canisius (17-15) at Ohio (16-16, 10-10 MAC)

Eastern Michigan (14-19, 10-10 MAC) at Toledo (18-17, 12-11 MAC)

Western Michigan (11-21, 8-10 MAC) at Bowling Green

Ball State (21-13, 15-3 MAC) at Northern Illinois (7-27, 6-12 MAC)