Kent State-ment: Flashes defeat Ohio in Friday night showdown

Stock Basketball – Photo via PxFuel

Heading into the weekend, Kent State (13-4 in the MAC) trailed the number one team, Ohio (14-3) by two games with a chance to play against them. On Friday night, the Flashes won in dominant fashion in perhaps their most important game of the season. The Golden Flashes won the game 75-52, not showing their opponent any remorse.

Giovanni Santiago provided 14 points off the bench for the Flashes. Malique Jacobs also contributed with 14 points, as well as 9 rebounds for his stat line. Sincere Carry had 12 of his own points while dishing out 7 assists. Justyn Hamilton finished with 10 points and 8 rebounds. The Bobcats were led on offense by Jason Carter, who had 12 points in the game. The Golden Flashes defense continues to amaze. They held the Bobcats shooting to just 23.1 percent. That marks the lowest field goal percentage of any Kent State opponent this season.

Heading down the stretch, Kent State has now beaten Toledo (14-3) and Ohio, the only two teams ahead of them in the standings. Kent State has put themselves in a great spot with the playoffs coming up very soon. They are undoubtedly the hottest team in the MAC at this moment.

The Golden Flashes will take on the Chippewas of Central Michigan (5-9) on Saturday, February 26. Kent State is looking to extend their winning streak to 10 games.

More games to look forward to this weekend:

Friday

Akron (11-6) at Ohio

Saturday

Miami (6-10) at Toledo

Northern Illinois (5-11) at Buffalo (11-4)

Eastern Michigan (5-12) at Ball Sate (7-9)

Western Michigan (2-15) at Bowling Green (5-12)