Finale brings few surprises, gives characters happy endings

The series finale of “Parks and Recreation” was pretty much exactly what I expected, and nothing more.

Of course Leslie becomes governor of Indiana, and of course she wrote that she wanted to be way back in her kindergarten dream journal. Of course Ron quits his business when it does too well and ends up as a park ranger in Pawnee. Of course April becomes a mom, but on her own terms, which involve taking the time to put on Halloween makeup after going into labor.

Everyone got their happy endings. And that’s great, but also kind of boring. Don’t get me wrong; it’s not like I wanted something terrible to happen to someone just to add some interest. But I wanted more than what I probably would have imagined anyway if I’d been told there wasn’t going to be a finale.

On the other hand, some of the episode’s best jokes were the ones that were entirely unsurprising. Of course Garry’s name gets spelled wrong on his tombstone. Of course his wife Gayle doesn’t appear to age.

Overall, though, it wasn’t an episode that had me laughing so hard that my inability to breathe became a concern, which has happened while watching Parks and Rec in the past.

The 21-stamp salute at Garry’s funeral was hilarious, though, as was the reference to Middle Korea. [If anyone thinks they know how that could possibly happen, let me know.]

But the episode didn’t have the great quotable lines that previous episodes have. [Think “Poncho!” and “Men have had a very rough go of it for… just recently,” both from “Pie-Mary.”]

I think the problem is that I prefer an episode like that one, one that’s chronological and doesn’t have to jump around to show everyone’s future and has room for running jokes. The finale was a departure from that type of episode, and while it was an understandable departure, it was still a change from what we’ve come to expect over seven seasons.

But the actual content wasn’t a departure from expectations. Parks and Rec ended on a feel-good note, with a reunion of our favorite gang after they’ve gone their separate, successful ways. And maybe I shouldn’t complain about that, given how unprepared I am to leave my own “workplace proximity acquaintances” in May.

The finale did leave viewers with one question: Is the U.S. led by President Knope or President Wyatt in 2048 when Garry dies? [Because that’s definitely a Secret Service agent whispering to them and conveniently not looking at either of them in particular.]