Womens soccer loses to Central Michigan

The Bowling Green State University womens soccer team lost this past Sunday to Central Michigan in overtime by a score of 1-0. The conference loss came on the heels of a loss this past Friday to Toledo, dropping the Falcons to 6-7-1, 2-4 in the MAC.

“I think we played really good soccer, but didn’t compete in the attacking third of the game to put us in a position to come away with a result,” head Coach Lindsay Basalyga said.

The winning goal was scored during the 98th minute of play by CMU’s Kaelyn Korte, who took a pass 12 yards out and shot from the right wing to find the back of the net. It was the Falcon’s third game this season decided in overtime, in which they are now 0-2-1.

Despite the loss, goalkeeper Lauren Cadel moved into sole possession of third place on BGSU’s all time saves list with 345 for her career, recording 11 saves during the match. The match was her third straight with double digit saves.

“Lauren was sharp in goal,” Basalyga said. “We just need to score more than the other team does.”

The first half was heavily one-sided, with Central Michigan controlling the ball on the offensive side of the field. The Chippewas recorded 15 shots in the opening period, which is the most the Falcons have allowed in a first half this season.

CMU got off three shots during the opening nine minutes, and five more between the 15th and 20th minutes. The lone shot attempt for the Falcons in the period came during the 19th minute, when CMU goalkeeper Zoie Reed saved Madison Schupbach’s attempt.

CMU was able to get two more shot attempts in towards the end of the half, with Shannon Magnon’s attempt hitting the post and Mary Carlson’s follow up attempt sailed wide. The two teams entered halftime tied 0-0.

CMU came out just as strong during the second half, recording twelve shots. Cadel kept the Falcon’s even though with six saves during the period. The Falcons made an effort with only four minutes left in regular time, but Schupbach’s third shot of the day sailed high and Reed saved Haley Parkinson’s attempt.

BG had chances to win the match in overtime, but Morgan Abbitt’s shot 52 seconds in was blocked by the CMU defense. Reed then saved Parkinson’s attempt off a Falcons corner kick two minutes later.

The young Falcon’s team has struggled on the road this season, going 1-4-1 when not at Cochrane Stadium. Struggles with road matches are typical of a young team, but must be resolved quickly as they head into this weekend when they have two away matches.

“Moving forward we have to continue to stay committed to the process, but as players and as a team they need to be accountable for their performance on the day and managing the pressure that comes from needing to get results,” Basalyga said. “This is the sign of a really young team that has all the tools but is still learning how to win.”

The Falcons will be in action next when they play at Kent State this Friday at 4 p.m. They then travel to Ohio University on Oct. 18.