Depp gives a terrifying turn as real-life mobster

Johnny Depp relishes in transforming himself completely in films, whether he’s portraying a real person (such as director Ed Wood, author J. M. Barrie and outlaw John Dillinger) or a larger than life fictional character (like Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka or Jack Sparrow). But rarely has he disappeared into a role so effectively as he does in his latest movie “Black Mass,” a gritty true crime film from director Scott Cooper.

Depp plays notorious real-life mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger, whose gang controlled organized crime in Boston in the 70s and 80s. Their crime-filled reign went largely unchecked by the police for over a decade due in part to Bulger’s role as an FBI informant. The film traces Bulger’s rise to power and the dangerous alliance he forms with FBI agent John Connolly (Joel Edgerton), a childhood friend of Bulger’s from South Boston, to take down a rival mafia group. Connolly is eager to make the deal despite the hesitation of his superiors (Kevin Bacon and, in an odd casting choice, Adam Scott). Their uneasy partnership is easily the best aspect of the film. Edgerton revels in the moral grayness as the lines between professional and personal and right and wrong blur the longer their relationship goes on.

Depp is absolutely riveting and terrifying as Bulger. It’s been years since we’ve seen him quite this good and grounded. He swiftly switches from charismatic brother and friend to ruthless killer in seconds. With dead eyes and an unflinching gaze, Depp creates an unforgettable and frankly intimidating figure. There’s a particular scene in which Bulger threatens Connolly’s wife (Julianne Nicholson), toying with her emotionally as he moves his hand across her face and onto her neck. It’s a harrowing moment that drives home many of the film’s themes and is easily one of the best scenes Depp has ever done, hands down.

The film doesn’t shy away from Bulger’s brutality or ask us to feel sympathetic for him as he commits murder after murder, yet we’re also allowed to see a very human side of him. Through his gentler interactions with his young son and wife (a surprisingly strong Dakota Johnson), and especially his relationship with his politician brother William Bulger (Benedict Cumberbatch, whose Boston accent leaves something to be desired) the screenplay allows the audience to see all sides of this man. There is a real, genuine degree of trust, respect and love between the brothers. Oddly enough it may be the strongest relationship within the film. Cumberbatch manages to convey the love and care his character feels towards Bulger through subtle body cues and tone alone.

Unfortunately, the plotline between these two never seems fully realized. In fact, there are several subplots the film would do much better without. However, thanks in large part to Depp’s compelling lead performance and the strength of the supporting cast, “Black Mass” is an excellent, intelligent and realistic crime film that makes thrilling use of a fascinating true story.