Delivery services tighten approach

When their stomachs growl, the last thing some students want to do is wait another hour for food.

Some delivery restaurants around Bowling Green know the importance of time to students and they are working toward achieving better delivery times through various methods.

Pita Pit stays open until 4 a.m. most nights and, unlike some other nearby restaurants, doesn’t end its delivery times early.

“We’re up to the minute,” said Pita Pit manager, Kursten Fenwick. “If you call at 3:59 at night, we will deliver it.”

Students are known for ordering late and Pita Pit makes pitas quickly to decrease delivery times, Fenwick said.

“As we’re talking to you on the phone taking your order, we’re putting it in the computer,” Fenwick said. “As soon as you hang up, the ticket prints out, and it takes two to four minutes to make the pita.”

Delivery accuracy can also aid in delivery times.

“We make sure we always have an eye on the fax machine and double-check every order,” Fenwick said. “We give the customers realistic delivery times and always have enough people on staff to help out.”

Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches prides itself on having “freaky fast deliveries,” general manager Kevin Smith said.

“We like to keep it under 20 minutes and not have any deliveries sit in the store for more than 10 minutes,” Smith said. “Also, the faster the delivery people are, the more money they make, so it’s a good incentive.”

At 35 cents, Jimmy John’s has one of the cheapest delivery charges in town, Smith said.

Papa John’s looked to technology to assist it in delivery times, said operating partner John King, with 58 percent of orders from last week coming from online orders.

“Ordering online makes deliveries quicker,” King said. “People don’t stop making pizzas to answer the phone.”

Once a customer calls in an order over the phone or orders online, Papa John’s has a computer system that will tell the approximate time to each customer. The system also keeps statistics of order times for the weeks past.

“We know where someone’s order is at all times, whether it’s in the oven or out of the oven and on the road,” King said.

However, sometimes delivery times have to be extended to ensure product quality.

“Cookies take a long time to bake, so we’re not the fastest delivery in town,” Cookie Jar employee Nathan Brown said. “We hurry, but we also have to obey the speed laws.”

Despite having a longer food preparation time than most of the other restaurants, Cookie Jar usually quotes its customers at a standard time of a half hour to 45 minutes, Brown said.

Although each restaurant has its own way of ensuring a fast delivery, each is quick to point out the motivation for operating in such a way — it’s all for the customers and University students.

“Our main focus is the students,” Fenwick said. “We’re there for them when they’re freshmen on campus and hope they stay with us until they’re seniors.”