Football team hosts annual ‘Orange and White’ spring game

Wrapping up spring practices, the BG football team will be hosting its annual “Orange and White” spring game Friday night at Doyt Perry Stadium.

Kickoff for the game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Unlike in past seasons, where the game would be scored offense vs. defense, the squad has been split up into two separate teams. The Falcons held a draft for the game earlier this week, with quarterback Matt Schilz (orange) and defensive tackle Chris Jones (white) serving as team captains.

Standard scoring rules will be used for the game, while standard clock rules will be used for the first half. A 30-minute running clock will be in place for the second half.

The game will present a chance for the Falcons to figure things out on both sides of the ball, but particularly on offense, where the Falcons will debut some new faces.

After graduating the wide receiver tandem of Kamar Jorden and Eugene Cooper, the Falcons will need to replace the majority of its production from last season at that position. Leading the way in that regard has been University of Michigan transfer Je’Ron Stokes, who will play on the white team.

He will receive passes from Matt Johnson, who emerges as the backup quarterback behind Schilz after Trent Hurley transferred to Delaware back in January.

Additionally, reigning Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Anthon Samuel has missed the majority of spring practices after fracturing his wrist in late March.

While he is expected to be 100 percent by May, Samuel has struggled with injuries in his BG career. He missed three games last season with separate head, shoulder and leg injuries.

John Pettigrew, Jamel Martin and Alex Carter have received the majority of reps at running back while the team waits for Samuel to return.

We will be hosting a live chat from the spring game. Head to our sports blog at http//:www.BGNewsSportsBlog.blogspot.com, or search us on Facebook or Twitter to find the link to the chat.