Campus Brief: Students to perform improv, raise money for charity

Students will perform improv for six hours at Happy Badger café for Theta Alpha Phi’s Improvathon Friday.

“There will be six straight hours of short form improv comedy, sort of like ‘Whose Line is it Anyway?’” said Tommy Duvall, Theta Alpha Phi philanthropy committee head.

Theta Alpha Phi is the University’s only theatre honorary fraternity, Duvall said. The fraternity is coed, and its goal is to promote theatre at the University and in the community.

In addition to student performers, the Improvathon will feature one-hour shows by the improv groups Bad Genetics and The Plastic Shatners.

The fraternity will be selling raffle tickets for 50 cents each to raise money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, Duvall said. This is the first year the group has donated to another organization; half of the money raised will go to Broadway Cares, and the other half will go to Theta Alpha Phi.

“The goal is to have fun,” Duvall said. “We’re hoping to raise a fairly good amount of money; when we give it to Broadway Cares we want to make somewhat of an impact.”

While this is not the first year Theta Alpha Phi has hosted the Improvathon, this is the first year it will take place at Happy Badger.

“We wanted to try something new,” Duvall said. “We want to bring in people who may have never heard of it before and have a good time.”

The event begins at noon Friday and ends at 6 p.m.