City Brief: Gas leak causes evacuation

At approximately ET Electric Company, LLC employees stuck a natural gas line causing the police to have to evacuate the surrounding area. Columbia Gas showed up around 3:45 P.M to fix the leak.

UPDATE (posted 4:39 p.m., May 15)

At approximately 2 p.m. ET Electric Company, LLC workers struck a natural gas line, causing police to evacuate and close down roads on the surrounding blocks.

Theresa Pollick, District Two public information officer for the Ohio Department of Transportation, said workers were digging a hole for a utlity pole as part of the road construction on North Main Street and East Poe Road.

Pollick said that prior to any construction work being done at a site, marks are made to designate the area where utility lines are. She said it is unknown why the pipe managed to get hit.

It is an uncommon occurence, but it does happen, she said.

Under one location there can be many pipes at different depths and angles, Pollick said.

The struck line was a six inch medium pressure pipe that Columbia Gas is currently working on shutting down, she said.

ORIGINAL (posted 3:52 p.m., May 15)

Around 2 p.m. Tuesday, ET Electric Company, LLC. employees drilling a hole for a utility pole at the Poe Road and Main Street intersection struck a natural gas line, causing a leak, said Lieutenant Mike Leestma of the Bowling Green Fire Division.

Natural gas plumed from the line and the wind blew it east toward N. Prospect St.

Police were working to evacuate the residents in the surrounding blocks toward where the gas was blowing, said Detective Brian Crites from the Bowling Green Police Division. Crites was working on evacuating residents of N. Prospect St.

Police also closed the streets in a one block diameter from the site of the leak near the corner of Rally’s.

Police and firefighters were securing the area and will continue to do so until Columbia Gas can send manpower to shut off the gas line and it can be fixed, Leestma said.

Firefighters were making sure no sources of ignition are close to the leak site, Leestma said. They do not know the pressure of the line, he said.

Look online at bgnews.com for more information regarding the gas leak and photos from the site.