‘True Blood’ fan creates alcoholic drink

“True Blood” is the only television show that can tear me away from breezy summer evenings spent outside reading cookbooks and poetry. Ever since one of my closest friends, SEM, introduced me to “True Blood” last summer when I binged on the first three seasons in one weekend and eagerly awaited every week of season four, I’ve sympathized with Sookie, loved-hated Bill and wanted to be Layfette’s best friend.

Not even my obsession with the Twilight Saga compares to my love of “True Blood.”

What I love most about the series, though, is how intelligent it is. Sure, the racy scenes are fun to watch but they pale in comparison to the monumental suspense created by complex characters, otherworldly plots and great acting.

To commemorate the season premiere of “True Blood” on June 10 at 9 p.m. on HBO, which will reveal its newest cast member, former “Law and Order: SVU” star Christopher Meloni (another one of my all-time favorite actors), I created a concoction that has the sweetness of Sookie and the bite of Eric.

The name of this drink is inspired by last season’s finale, when SEM and I both sighed and said the same thing at the same time during a scene when Sookie was being especially naïve.

The “Oh, Sookie…” celebrates the season with fresh strawberries from the Downtown BG Farmers Market and apple mint from a local gardener. While it might seem a little strong, it’s a gorgeously red drink, and a perfect sipper for the hour-long debut of this year’s best summer television series. I have no doubt it will leave you shaking your head, sighing, “Oh, Sookie…”

How to make the “Oh, Sookie:”

In a martini shaker, add three strawberries, sliced, and several leaves of apple mint. Add one drop of vanilla extract, one drop of almond extract, a few drops of honey or agava nectar or ginger syrup, which can be found at Walt Churchill’s. Muddle these ingredients until they liquefy. Then add ice, 1 oz. Cointreau, 2 oz. Vodka (preferably Tito’s), ½ oz. grapefruit juice and ½ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice. Shake and pour into a chilled martini glass. Add a splash of sparkling water to make it a little bubbly and mellow out the flavors. Be careful not to spill it while warning your favorite characters of forthcoming evil.