Feeling of love should be expressed year-round

Let’s cut to the chase. Valentine’s Day has become nothing more than a Hallmark holiday.

I’m happily married to my best friend. I’m a sucker for fresh flowers, good food and red wine. I’m a believer in the power of love. And for these reasons, I’m not celebrating Valentine’s Day this year.

Shouldn’t we treat our significant others, family members, friends and each other like every day is Valentine’s Day?

Rather than creating high expectations of a perfect date filled with candies, a fancy restaurant and lingerie, why not use Valentine’s Day to do something special that’s not a cliché?

There are many ways we can share love without buying gushy cards and gaudy jewelry. Send an email to a friend you’ve lost contact with. Take a meal to a neighbor in need. Donate time at a local food assistance program. When we give love, intentionally, on more than one day a year, we will be able to feel love on more than one day a year. Showing our appreciation of loved ones on non-holidays actually makes them feel more special.

Perhaps it’s the skeptic in me, but when I get a heart-shaped box on Valentine’s Day, I think, “You only did this because it’s Valentine’s Day.” But a few weeks ago, a couple who are good friends gave my husband and I a box of Pistacia Vera’s Pate de Fruit (delightful all natural fruit jellies that are gluten-free) for no occasion at all. A thoughtful gesture that happened on a random Monday in January made me feel truly valued.

For me, and quite a few folks I know, food is the vehicle for expressing emotion and gratitude. When I invite family, friends or guests to dinner or Sunday brunch, I don’t construct elaborate meals to “show off” or “look good.” I cook because I care about the people I’m cooking for, and I want them to know how much I value my relationships with them and the time I get to spend with them lingering after the meal, talking and laughing. When they leave with full bellies and light hearts, in return, I feel affection and joy. I don’t need a holiday to make to do special; I just need some pots and pans, a few cookbooks, groceries and people I love.

That said, don’t expect me to wear black this coming Tuesday. After all, I am a sucker for the color pink and Hello Kitty valentines. I will be sharing love – through my intentions and actions – on that day and every day of the year, and I encourage you to do the same. The best way to get love is to give love. The Beatles said it best when they sang, “All you need is love.”