New thrift store offers bargains

What Abigail Cary likes most about Abigail’s Attic is the positive responses and support she gets from her friends and the community.

She is also glad she has a chance to give back to her community.

“I have a big heart to where I want everyone to have a good deal,” Cary said.

Abigail’s Attic is a thrift store that opened Dec. 3 this past year. Items available for purchase include clothes, books, toys and furniture.

Cary decided to open her store because she felt her faith leading her to help the community; and, she “loves a good bargain.”

Cary owns the store and runs it with her husband, daughter and Keke Cobb, her friend.

“Keke’s a great help,” Cary said.

Cary and Cobb have been friends for years, first meeting through Cary’s husband, Bob.

Cobb loves a good bargain and helping her friends, and she “thinks the idea is awesome,” Cary said.

Cobb comes in about once a week to help out at the store.

“I love it. It’s great work,” she said.

The store also needs volunteers, as they cannot afford to have anyone on payroll yet, Cary said. They welcome anyone willing to help.

Cary thinks the store is good for University students because it is close to the apartments where students live, and they deliver items such as furniture, which they have done a lot of in the past months. The prices for delivery range from $10 to $15.

The store is catered toward, “Thriving people who have a limited income,” Cary said.

Along with delivery, the store is also willing to pick up things people want to get rid of.

The store’s items are taken from donations by supporters and bought from yard sales. Most of the donations are in the form of clothing, the items most often sold.

“It’s about fashion trends; it goes in, it goes out,” Cary said.

There are tuxedo rentals at the store, and a portion of the money goes to a charity of the renter’s choice.

Because of the store’s recent opening, not many students seem to know about it. Only one out of 10 people knew what the store was. Two students, junior Molly Troller and senior Nathan Boysel had never heard of it; but, when it was explained to them they showed interest in going.

Although the store is not widely known, the word seems to be spreading through the University. One student, senior Zach Shaffer, lived nearby and decided to take a look. He came for “good costume stuff” and “older style clothing.”

Cary also explained how a sorority member from the University was interested in the store, and that she would spread word of the store to her sorority sisters.

Students from the University’s construction program have also agreed to help with the store, Cary said.

Cary wants to open more space in the building for her store, and the students are going to volunteer to help with it.

Abigail’s Attic is open from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-7 p.m. on Saturdays. It is located on 106 Napoleon Rd. The store accepts both cash and credit. Cary is also willing to negotiate prices with customers.