City Brief: Construction ahead of schedule

After more than a year of construction, the North Main Street project is scheduled to finish in November, about eight months ahead of schedule.

The construction is in its final stages, with only paving and signaling work to go, said Theresa Pollick, District 2 public information officer for the Ohio Department of Transportation.

“A big factor in being ahead has been mild weather and a mild winter,” Pollick said. “Being able to get the underground utility work done in one season has been really helpful.”

The main purpose of the project was to add two lanes to North Main Street to ease congestion.

In the next few weeks people can expect increased congestion and orange barrels as crews work on paving, striping and putting in permanent traffic signals, Pollick said.

Paving started on Friday and as winter approaches, Pollick said the crews will see how long the weather keeps up.

Striping will be completely finished in spring, but it won’t cause major lane restrictions, she said.

The cost of the North Main Street project is $7.4 million. The city is responsible for 20 percent of the project, or $1.48 million, while the remaining 80 percent, or $5.92 million, is state funded, Pollick said.