Local boutique hosts cultural fashion show

Tonight, Sky Bar will look a little different than usual. It will be decorated with a mix of different cultures, plenty of glitter and will be filled with about 20 models sporting the apparel of Diversity Boutique, a local clothing store.

The Public Relations Student Society of America is collaborating with Diversity Boutique to put on a fashion show tonight.

The name of the fashion show is “Memoirs of the Night,” from the 2005 film “Memoirs of a Geisha.” Calvin Walker, director of PRSSA and intern at the boutique, said the theme is an “international remix,” and different cultures will be represented within the three scenes of the show.

The first scene will be colorful, following a “Latin flare” theme. Then, to tie in with the name of the show, there will be a Japanese theme of Geisha apparel.

Before the actual show begins, Walker said the doors will open at 9 p.m. for a pre-party.

While the fashion show is open to the general public, the pre-party is only for those specifically there to see the show, and the first 15 in the door will receive a front-row seat.

Free food, drink specials and double the usual amount of raffle tickets will be available at the party. There is no extra fee, but everyone who comes must pay Sky Bar’s general charges, which is $4 for ages 18 to 20 and free for anyone 21 or older.

“The majority of the things at the pre-party are food and drink, just to get people in the mood for the fashion show,” Walker said.

The food is being donated from Marco’s Pizza and Old Town Buffet.

Raffle tickets will not only be distributed during the pre-party, but also throughout the night and to anyone who comes into Sky Bar.

Prizes will be given out several times during the fashion show, and will include hair salon coupons for First Choice Hair Cutters, DVDs, Wal-Mart gift cards and more.

After guests get in the mood for the show, the models will take over the runway at 10:30 p.m.

Walker said a majority of these models are Diversity Boutique interns, most of whom are students at the University.

Megan Yodzis, the marketing and promotions intern at the boutique and a junior at the University, said she is excited about tonight.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun and the models are looking great,” Yodzis said.

The interns also asked their friends to come join to make them feel more relaxed during the show.

“We really want all the models to be as comfortable as can be since fashion shows don’t happen a lot here in Bowling Green,” Walker said.

Yodzis asked her roommate Emily Faeth to join in on the fun.

Faeth said, “I’m pretty excited, it should be a fun time.”

Along with the interns modeling and asking their friends to join PRSSA, they also held a casting call two weeks ago.

Freshman Oasis Jeffries said she saw the recruiters in the Union.

“I never modeled before, but I just wanted to do something different,” Jeffries said.

While there are first-year models, this is not the first year the owner of Diversity Boutique, Erin Norman, has put on a fashion show.

Norman said since the opening of the boutique in 2003, she has been putting on a spring fashion show.

Norman is a proud alumna of the University and said since the town lacks a lot clothing stores, she decided to open her own boutique.

“I love Bowling Green and wanted to give something back to a school that gave me so much,” Norman said.

She said when it comes to the fashion shows, however, she just helps lead the interns in the right direction and let them take it from there. This year, Walker was chosen to work on and plan the show.

“I was lucky enough to get that position for this year’s fashion show,” Walker said.

Norman said choosing Walker was not a hard choice to make.

“Anyone around Calvin can feel his passion oozing out,” Norman said. “He had helped with marketing with PRSSA last year and did a fabulous job, so I asked him to come back and take over this year’s show.”

Even though Norman will not be able to make it to the show this year, she has no doubt her interns will put on a great show.

“Words cannot express how close I am to this show and how much I enjoy watching interns successfully put it on. I am confident in Calvin because of his proven abilities and I know he will do a great job,” Norman said. “There is nothing like the atmosphere of a fashion show.”