Nike speaker shares life triumphs

A knee injury may have ended his basketball career but it still led him to a life of fame.

Howard “H” White, vice president of the Jordan Brand for Nike Inc, told a crowd of students, faculty and community members in the Union last night how his life’s accomplishments both on and off the court gave him the ticket to succeed in the

business world.

Following a brief introduction, White first asked the audience a question before beginning his presentation.

“How ya’ll doin today?” he said.

White explained that he asks that question a lot because his mother told him a long time ago, “You only get one shot in life to make a good impression.”

He told the students in the audience that someday they will need to get a job and will be against people from higher- ranked schools such as Harvard University, Duke University and Ohio State University.

But White said BGSU students have an advantage over those other students.

“If all you are is a resume, you already lost the battle,” he said.

He said if someone shows enthusiasm, that person becomes the ideal candidate for an employer.

The first inspirational story he told the audience was about how he was held back in the second grade.

“Failure has probably been my greatest accomplishment,” White said.

Along with failing the second grade, White was not exactly the best basketball player in the beginning.

As a young man, he thought he knew about the game.

However, he explained, “three white men living in the country” taught him how to play.

After White and his friends lost badly to the three men, one of them approached him.

This man was his future coach that would not only train him in basketball, but also in life.

The man asked White if he wanted to be like “Big O,” Oscar Robertson, the National Association of Basketball Coaches player of the century.

After he replied yes, the man taught White everything he knew about basketball.

Later in life, while attending the University of Michigan, he led his team to victory in the 1972 National Invitation Tournament and to the final eight of the 1973 NCAA Tournament.

However, a knee injury stopped White from continuing to play.

But this did not stop White in his tracks; he became a coach at Maryland and later became a field representative in 1978.

Today he is vice president of the Jordan Brand for Nike Inc., the founder of the “Believe to Achieve” program, and has written two books.

When people wonder what his secret to success is, White said it is simple: Always say, “Hi” to anyone you pass.

White said his mother told him that “even a dog can wag his tail when he passes you on the street.”

Due to numerous schedule conflicts, last night’s event had been six years in the making, said University President Sidney Ribeau.

During his introduction of White, Ribeau said, “You can go on and on about his achievements, but he is a man of integrity, a man of character, a man of conviction.”

Students in attendance said they learned a great deal from White’s personal history.

Jahmal Garrett, a sophomore at the presentation, said White is a good example of how to achieve one’s life goals.

He said he learned “to stay who you are and success will follow.”

Rob Parks also said White is an inspiration. He said White taught him to “go after your dreams, don’t let anyone stand in your way.”