Black Student Union challenges stereotypes

During a buffet of chicken and watermelon last night, members of the Black Student Union invited students to discuss black stereotypes.

“It’s a way to educate people on what they are, where they came from, and how to combat it,” said Derrick Coleman, the Public Relations representative for the organization. “Every background has it’s own stereotype.”

The BSU used videos to highlight different stereotypes in the media. Some students were surprised at how controversial Looney Tunes cartoons were.

“I didn’t realize they were even supposed to be black people,” said sophomore Harrison Haines. “They were so deformed, they didn’t even look human.”

“Most of the cartoons were from the 1980s,” said BSU President Starmisha Page.

Another well-known character, Buckwheat from the Little Rascals was based off the “pickaninny” image of black people. This stereotype portrayed black people as buffoons.

Other images included the Uncle Tom and the jezebel.

The “Uncle Tom” was seen as loyal but stupid and a good servant.

“Some use ‘Uncle Tom’ as a slur to those who they feel ‘submit’ to white people,” Coleman said.

The jezebel is the image of black women as seductive or tempting. Page said the concept was used to rationalize mixed relations.

“People assume all black women are loud and overly sexualized,” said sophomore Nicole Robertson.

Some students pointed out that some TV shows might portray stereotypes to be satirical, but many felt that the message wasn’t getting across.

“It’s cool that maybe you understand it, but what about those who don’t,” Robertson said.

“It would have the potential to make people realize,” Haines said, “but the general population doesn’t really know about that topic.”

Next the group discussed food stereotypes, and how bad stereotypes involving chicken and watermelon really are.

“In my own household, chicken was the cheapest thing to eat,” Coleman said, and many agreed with him.

“Back in the day, chickens were on the farm, they were there for the slaves to use,” Coleman said. “If something is repetitive, it becomes what you live by.”

These stereotypes are still used today, Page said. She said several universities in the United States today have “blackface” parties, where white people color their faces dark and dress up as black people.

“This has opened up my eyes,” said sophomore Daniel Lee. “In mainstream society we think that everything’s fixed from the civil rights movement. We’re taught that everything is fixed.”