Students living in Bromfield leave their rooms for good

On top of stress due to studying for finals, sophomore Tonya Green had to pack up all her stuff and move from her room in Bromfield Hall into Rodgers Quadrangle this past weekend.

Green was one of many other students who lived in Bromfield Hall this semester who had to move.

Director of Residence Life Michael Griffel said the reason why Green and the other Bromfield students had to leave was because it will be closed down during the spring semester, along with Anderson Hall, due to renovations.

“We’re about to enter a housing master planning process,” Griffel said. “That’s where architectural and engineering consultant services are going to be working on the University.”

Griffel said Anderson was unavailable for the fall semester and will continue to be for the spring semester. He said Bromfield was also supposed to be closed fall semester, but it was used for temporary housing due to the large number of students living on campus.

All of the students in Bromfield Hall will be moved out one to two weeks into the spring semester.

Green said the first time she found out about her temporary stay was on move-in day.

“I was informed by a letter I received when I checked into Harshman. I was informed again at a floor meeting,” Green said.

Sophomore Charles Dent said he was also told about the move at a meeting with all Bromfield residents.

“They said it was because of low enrollment,” Dent said. “I think it’s because the building is old.”

Dent was correct about the aged residence hall, since Anderson and Bromfield will both be under renovation during spring semester.

“We’re doing carpeting in the rooms and in the main lobby area and we’re renovating the desk in the main lobby area,” Griffel said. “All the rooms are getting carpeting, we’re doing painting and refinishing the furniture so that it looks nice.”

Griffel said the new carpet is more hygienic and easier to clean because they are using carpet tiles that have solid rubber underneath.

“If one is damaged, then you can just pull it out instead of taking out the whole thing,” Griffel said.

These two halls in Harshman Quadrangle will not be the only ones to get a makeover.

Griffel said the University is evaluating what buildings are in most need of renovation and what work will be done.

“Our intent certainly over time is to get to all of our older facilities on a rotating basis, whether that will happen during the summer or during semesters,” Griffel said. “It will happen either incrementally in small batches or large batches depending on a whole bunch of factors.”

While the University works on a plan for the next buildings to be renovated, some students search for a place to stay during the spring semester.

“Our staff worked really hard to honor their requests,” Griffel said. “I think they were able to honor almost all of the requests except for maybe like one or two.”

Dent is still contemplating on moving into Chapman Hall, but is not too worried about the shift.

“I moved to Harshman in the middle of the semester last year, so I am used to it,” Dent said.

Green is happy that she does not have to live in Bromfield Hall for another semester.

“Now that I have moved, I am in a bigger room and I am closer to campus,” she said.

Even though Green moved to a bigger room in Rodgers Quadrangle, she does not have to pay any more than she did for her room in Bromfield Hall. According to the University’s Web site, rooms with double occupancy in both Harshman and Rodgers Quadrangles are the same price at $2,110; however rooms in Harshman Quadrangle are 15 feet by 10 feet while rooms in Rodgers Quadrangle are 16 feet by 12 feet.

Dent, who lived in Anderson Hall last year, said he also feels better about leaving Bromfield because of the sanitation and level of noise.

“It was loud, but I can deal with that; what really got to me was how dirty it was,” Dent said.

Even though students like Dent may not have had good experiences in some of the dorms, the University is looking to improve this.

“We’ve really been looking at making sure we’re providing the best facilities that we’ve got,” Griffel said. “We certainly have aging buildings; there’s no question about that. But we’ve tried to keep them in good shape with carpeting and painting and roofs.”