Christmas preparations under way for University Catholic students as holiday nears

In the upcoming weeks, students have been told that preparing for finals ahead of time is the best way to achieve high scores in their classes. But, for University Catholic students, preparing for Christmas will also go hand-in-hand with studying for exams in the last weeks of the semester.

In anticipation of Christmas, Catholics have a four-week preparation called Advent. The University parish, St. Thomas More, will also be preparing for the holiday.

“Instead of shopping, it’s often more of a spiritual checklist of what we can do to prepare ourselves for the season of Christmas,” the Rev. Michael Dandurand said.

Advent started Sunday, Nov. 30 and will take place every Sunday until Dec. 21.

Dandurand, who has been the priest at St. Thomas More for three years, said Advent Sundays are like normal Sunday masses, but the prayers are intensified. Participants study scriptures that particularly speak of the coming of Christ, and are reminded of other stories such as John the Baptist, the dreams of St. Joseph and of the Angel Gabriel inviting Mary to be the mother of God.

Another difference in the mass is the color the pastor and people wear.

“We wear purple as opposed to green or white,” Dandurand said. “So, purple is the color of the season.”

The church-goers will also find a wreath with four candles; three purple and one pink or rose.

Dandurand said the purple candles are a reminder of all the excitement for Christmas, and the pink candle, which is lit on the third Sunday before Christmas, is a sign of joy and anticipation.

“So there’s a spirit of joy and anticipation, child-like joy, but also a spirit or repentance recognizing that Christ came because of our disobedience,” Dandurand said. “So, we have to kind of be mindful of our sins.”

While there will be decorations throughout the church, Dandurand said they will be limited.

“During the Advent season, we really try to avoid celebrating Christmas before Christmas Day,” Dandurand said. “We live in a culture that they don’t want to prepare, they just want to celebrate. If we really prepare well we can really celebrate well, and Catholics like to party; they like to celebrate well.”

Along with preparing and celebrating Christmas, Campus Missionary Jennie Lee said there are other reasons students should participate in Advent.

“As we enter into the holiday season, students can begin to remember, understand or discover what Christmas is really all about,” Lee said. “They can begin to prepare their hearts for the celebration of Jesus’ birth.”

Dandurand said he believes doing something spiritual to prepare for Christmas is more rewarding.

“Try to pick up going to a Sunday service; it really will make Christmas so much more meaningful,” Dandurand said.

He suggested picking up an additional weekday service or weekday mass. Dandurand said the 9 p.m. Wednesday night mass is an especially good one with candle light.

Even those students who do not attend St. Thomas More are welcome to attend any of the masses.

“Getting involved at St. Thomas More really gives students the chance to make their faith their own – to learn the foundations of the Church, its beliefs and its practices,” Lee said.

Lee suggests Catholic students who want to get involved “begin by attending Mass, and then either register at the parish or speak to any staff member to learn more about the many activities and opportunities we offer.”

Another mass everyone is welcome to come to is coming up.

This Sunday will be a special Advent mass in the Ballroom in the Union called Ballroom Mass that has been a tradition for nearly 20 years.

The mass will start at 8 p.m., with confessions starting at 7:15 p.m., and music beginning at 7:30 p.m.

“It’s probably a little bit more festive, because it’s kind of a bigger celebration,” Dandurand said.

Junior Cameron Davis plans on attending the Ballroom Mass for the second consecutive year.

Davis said he believes the mass “would be a boost of encouragement and hope [for students] to know that even though times are tough, there are things to look forward to; to escape from all the hustle and muscle of school.”

Lee, who sang in the choir for Ballroom Mass for two years as a graduate student, is also planning on attending the Mass.

“The Mass is a beautiful way for God to come to his people and truly touch their hearts,” Lee said. “I hope that this Sunday, students will choose to make time for the Ballroom Mass and encounter Jesus Christ.”