Avoid a major now, save an extra year later

There are a lot of factors that can cause you to stay in school for five years instead of four, taking what is referred to as a “victory lap.” Most people will tell you the main factor is partying too much, not studying enough or missing classes.

I’m not one of those people. Those factors are minor because you will learn pretty quickly what your limits are. If you don’t, then you won’t have to worry about a fifth year. You will already have moved back into your parents’ home after the first semester, sifting through the “help wanted” sections.

But if you want to make it out of here in four years, follow this piece of advice: Do not choose a major yet.

You’ve probably been hearing it from everyone around you for at least two years now: You’re going to college, so you have to decide what you want to do with your life.

Well, it’s a lie. You don’t have to decide anything right now, and to do so is a huge mistake.

Choosing a major before realizing what college is all about is like buying a car that may or may not work. The only difference is no one will tell you that choosing the major is a bad idea.

The reason choosing a major now is a mistake is because you really don’t know what you want to do; you only think you do. I say this because you are still in high-school mode. You’re still used to experiencing things through your parents’ eyes.

You need to take some time off from living up to other people’s expectations and take some time to find your own expectations.

I’m not trying to bash all you incoming freshmen and tell all of you that you are stupid. You’re not. You’ve all made it this far, so I’m willing to bet you are all pretty intelligent.

But I’m also willing to bet my more than $80,000 in student loans that an overwhelming majority of you will change your minds about your major at least once, and that is how the “victory lap” starts. If you start taking classes pertaining to one major and then switch, you might as well put on your running shoes.

I started out as a political science major. A year into taking classes related to that major, I realized that I had zero interest in becoming a lawyer.

I switched my major to exercise specialist, took some kinesiology classes and soon learned again that I didn’t want to pursue that path, either.

So during winter break of my second year, I sat down and actually took the time to think of what really interested me and not what would just look good on paper or impress someone else.

That’s how I finally decided creative writing was the degree I wanted for myself. I can honestly say I haven’t had regrets being in this program, and I actually enjoy going to classes now.

However, by the time I realized what I wanted, I had 30 credit hours of worthless classes that counted for nothing. I was only in my third semester, and already a year behind.

If I would have been a little smarter at the time, I would have never chosen a major and took strictly general education courses. Because by the time I realized what I really wanted to study, my general education requirements would have been fulfilled and I would have been on track to graduate in four years.

But what I did, what most people have done and what most people will continue to do is choose a major they think will earn them a lot of money or what will look nice in a frame hanging on a wall.

So if you want to avoid the “victory lap,” be smart and play dumb. Don’t come into college thinking you know everything and you have everything mapped out.

Wait it out for at least a semester. Take the time to wait until you know what is all out there and find what your true passion is. If you do this, you just might make it out of here in four years – with a degree in something you actually like.