Tyler Ross powers Falcons past Toledo in historic Battle of I-75 victory

BG’s pitching also shined in the 3-1 win
Drake Harlett/BGSU Athletics
Bowling Green, OH – Bowling Green senior shortstop Tyler Ross (18) celebrating his first of two home runs of the game at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Bowling Green baseball (30-18, 22-6 MAC) continued their winning ways on Thursday in the opener of a three-game series against Toledo (25-28, 16-12 MAC), defeating the Rockets 3-1.

The win marked several milestones for the Falcons. For the 13th time in team history and the first time since 2010, the team recorded its 30th victory in a season. The 22 wins are also tied for the most Mid-American Conference (MAC) victories in a season for the Orange and Brown. 

Despite a sluggish day for the Falcon offense, Bowling Green managed to snatch game one from the Rockets to begin their final MAC series. BGSU’s victory also marks the first time that the Orange and Brown scored less than five runs and still won. 

The big name on the offensive side of the ball for the Falcons was senior infielder Tyler Ross, who mashed two home runs over the fence, accounting for two of BGSU’s three runs. Ross explained how the offense was feeling. 

“Early on, I think it was a blessing; our offense was really hot, but come tournament time, you’re not going to be able to do that all the time.” 

Pitching shined for the Falcons Thursday as senior left-handed pitcher Rigo Ramos tossed four straight scoreless innings, putting up a total of 5.2 innings with two strikeouts and one walk. In relief, senior righty Isaiah Seidel and sophomore right-hander Jacob Turner combined for a scoreless 3.1 innings. Seidel was credited with the win, and Turner was awarded the save. 

Falcons head coach Kyle Hallock shed some light on his decisions in the game and why the pitching was so successful. 

“Those guys compete every day, and they deserve the right to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line.” 

BGSU baseball will continue its series against Toledo on Friday at Fifth Third Field in Toledo, with the first pitch set for 7 p.m. A win tomorrow would break the program record for most MAC wins in a season.

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Tyler Kavalecz and Chas McNeil will have the call of the annual game on 88.1 WBGU, starting at 6:40 p.m.