Dorm life doesn’t beat home comfort

I’ll be the first to tell you BGSU was not my top choice for continuing my education upon graduating high school eons ago. However, I do not feel as if I settled, but rather already possessed contentment with sticking around my home town for a while longer.

Several contributing factors made BGSU the right fit for me, including my living situation.

Most kids want to get out of their house and away from their parents, right? Well, I was one of them, but I also found value in having my family close while at the same time being able to experience freedom.

Obviously one of the biggest concerns with college is money, and I often wonder how much I saved by not living in a dorm. Regardless of the exact figure, I know it’s a large number that has instead been used for tuition expenses for my ‘super senior’ years.

I guess when I sit and think about it, I feel like the only thing I missed out on with dorm life was the ability to network. Maybe that and a place to call ‘my own.’

But I am a townie and already had connections and a strong ability to network. Sometimes I laugh when I realize I can’t walk down the street for five minutes without someone recognizing me. Other times I cry on the inside.

But seriously, there were more pros than cons to living off campus each year.’ Yes, saving money was nice, but the trade off was having to deal with my mom.’ (Just kidding, love you mother!’ Besides I wouldn’t trade my mom for any RA.)

Let’s face it, if you know me, being confined to a dormitory would not be conducive to a fun Tyler.’ If you don’t know me, that may be a good thing.

I am a big guy with a big personality.’ I don’t have a lot of possessions (other than stacks and stacks of newspapers), so that was never a worry if I moved into a dorm.’ But I do play guitar and I have the tendency to play it loud.

Music has always been a big part of my life and living off campus has allowed for many jam sessions on my Ipod while walking to and from classes and sporting events.’ Everyone knows not to offer me rides because they are aware I take pleasure in my walks.’ And let me tell you, I think I have traversed this campus and town on foot more than anyone.’ Conversely, something tells me that walking around in a dorm would make me feel like I’m on recess in a prison.

That leads me to another point: actual living conditions.’ All dorm beds are too small for me, and trust me, I am a fickle sleeper, just ask any of my ex’s.

Next are restrooms. I would not have had a problem with a community bathroom seeing as how I was in Boy Scouts and half the time just went outdoors or at a latrine.’ Needless to say, the facilities in Founders are pretty nice.’ But I guess the point I’m making is that I think there is a feeling of security or home court advantage pertaining to having a bathroom to call you own.

Probably the other biggest worry about dorm life would be food.’ Some people eat to live, but I live to eat.’ Unfortunately, I am getting older and I think my metabolism is slowing down.’ Anyway, I really don’t have a problem with the quality of the food seeing as how I ate (took advantage of athletic meal plans) at the dorms a lot because my ex’s lived in them.’ Again, it is that sense of grocery shopping and concocting a feast in your own kitchen that is much more gratifying.’ Besides, I would not have been able to fit a full size fridge in my dorm.

So, even though I never actually lived in a dorm myself, I think I got enough out of it vicariously through friends and girlfriends.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s a rainy day.’ Good for enjoying happy hour or staying in and reading the newspaper. Roll Along!