University to further develop architecture programs this fall

This summer, architecture students will have their own department, and for the’ upcoming school year, students will have the option to graduate with a degree in architecture. A master’s program in architecture is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2011. These changes are a three-pronged effort for the University to gain state accreditation for the architecture program. Four schools in Ohio have accredited programs: Kent State University, Miami University, Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati. ‘BG’s trying to position itself to be the fifth,’ said Stan Guidera, an associate professor in architecture. This will allow the University to effectively compete with the other accredited Ohio universities in architecture. ‘This elevates it certainly up the food chain,’ he said. But the program will be an improvement for students as well. The standard undergraduate degree is a bachelor of science in architecture, Guidera said. Right now, students can only specialize in architecture within a technology degree, and it’s only considered a program within the College of Technology. ‘The profession is changing and that means they’re looking for specific skills,’ said Andreas Luescher, an associate professor in architecture. Lescher said the degree name change clarifies for potential graduate schools that students have the certain skills needed for the job, like specific computer skills, design technique, theory and practice. ‘It will allow them to compete more effectively for a grad degree,’ Guidera said. The master’s program will also allow graduate students to compete for jobs, Guidera said. Students currently work with professors who are also registered architects, but the master’s program would have two additional full-time faculty members, according to the proposal prepared by the architecture/environmental design studies faculty. Since graduate studies in architecture are in high demand, Guidera said these extra faculty and other costs would be paid for by the program itself. ‘[A] graduate school of architecture is very selective,’ he said. ‘We’ll have no problem filling spaces.’