Faculty and staff have chance to lose weight, win prizes

The University is not only committed to keeping its students healthy but the faculty and staff as well.

In the fall of 2007 the University received a generous grant from Medical Mutual of Ohio specifically for faculty and staff wellness programming.

“From my understanding, it was something that Medical Mutual wanted to give,” said Faith Yingling, the director of the Wellness Connection. “A proposal was written to Medical Mutual and Medical Mutual of Ohio wanted to give that to the University to help promote faculty and staff wellness across the University.”

In order to utilize the grant, WellAware, a committee dealing with employee health and wellness on campus, got together to come up with a plan.

Caitlin Spontelli, the interim health educator in the Wellness Connection, said the committee includes faculty and staff representatives from Human Resources, the Wellness Connection, Family and Consumer Sciences, the Counseling Center and recreation sports.

The committee came up with an incentive program in order to get the faculty and staff educated and involved in health and wellness.

Spontelli, who has been working with the program since last semester, is in charge of keeping track of who participates, marketing, evaluating the program and adding events of interest to University employees.

She said the program motivates the faculty and staff through various programs and prizes are handed out, such as a Nintendo Wii, Wii Fit and Meijer gifts cards.

In order to be added to the raffle for prizes, faculty and staff must fill out an entry form by April 30 to the Wellness Connection, room 214 in the Recreation Center. The drawing will take place May 1.

Fall semester’s first prize winner of the Wii and Wii Fit was Sheri Messaros, a clerical specialist at the Student Health Center.

“I love it, it is so fun,” Messaros said. “My husband and I really like it. We use it a couple times a week and some of my other family members have come over to play.”

But Messaros did not just add her name to a raffle. She had to participate in events offered by the incentive program in order to be eligible.

Faculty and staff can participate in multiple events starting in February to be eligible to win the Wii. Some of them include Weight Watchers at Work, Women’s Center Brown Bag Luncheons, Ergonomic workshops, WellAware Brownbag lunch and Series Safety Training.

Another event for prizes will run from February 23-27. “Know Your Numbers” is a screening program which started fall 2008. This event offers faculty and staff results for their blood pressure, cholesterol, height and weight.

Yingling said if people who already receive Medical Mutual Insurance participate in this event, they can be reimbursed on their insurance.

Another way faculty and staff can add their name to the raffle is by setting up a free appointment with the registered Dietician in the Student Health Center. Faculty and staff can also sign up for with a student personal trainer at the Recreation Center.

Layne Davis, the graduate assistant of fitness at the Recreation Center, said the training consultation is an hour long and provides them with plenty of ideas for exercises and an identifiable fitness goal.

Davis, who is also a personal trainer, said faculty and staff must fill out a sheet ahead of time stating what their fitness level currently is and where they would like to be.

“That’s been a really popular program and [has received] a lot of positive feedback from faculty members,” Davis said.

But while most employees were happy with their training session, some thought an extra session or a follow up would be necessary.

Yingling said both sessions with the dietician and personal trainer is, “to get you to in the door, get you started, get you some information, and get you set on the right track with improving health and wellness.”

Faculty and staff can also walk their way to fitness and into the raffle without worrying about the weather through a newly added addition to the program.

“Walking to Wellness” is an all-week walking program in the Perry Field House. Employees can come in for a walk Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon to 1 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.

Spontelli said last semester almost 300 faculty and staff participated in the health and wellness incentive programs.

“Thus far we are off to a great start with the spring program,” Spontelli said.

Faculty and staff can view the upcoming events and still sign up for this semester by visiting the WellAware website at www.bgsu.edu/offices/ohr/wellaware/.

Spontelli said the incentive program is a good way for University employees to try new things, raise awareness of health and wellness topics as well as promote healthy lifestyles.

Yingling agreed and said the incentive program is “not just sort of one aspect of wellness, there’s a variety of different things that incorporate wellness that people can do to take part in this.”

Messaros said she plans to attend some of the programs offered through the incentive program again this semester, specifically a session with the registered dietician.

“It is a win-win situation because you become more knowledgeable and at the same time have a chance to win prizes,” Messaros said.