Local rental agencies not affected by economy

Once the spring semester ends, several students pack their bags and hit the road for home, vacating their apartments and dorm rooms.

However, despite the many students who flee Bowling Green to head back home, there are many who stay behind to take summer classes, work or fulfill leases. Whatever the case, a significant amount of students remain either on campus or in various houses or apartments throughout town.

Rental agencies, like Newlove Rentals of Bowling Green, claim to be just as successful in the summer months as during the school year.

‘Were not complaining about our current situation,’ said Helen Hernandez, financial director and office manager of Newlove Rentals. ‘And although the economic times are tough, we’ve been successful for 20 years.’

Newlove has not only been consistent in business, they’ve also expanded their property. Including the new property, they are at a 75 percent capacity rating. Business may be slow for some, but for agencies like Newlove Rentals, they’re not only breaking even, they’re excelling.

Although business may be going smoothly, there are factors that encourage and deter students from living in Bowling Green during the summer months.

‘I would have liked to have lived in BG this summer, but I needed to go back home so I could make some money,’ said Derek Carlson, an upcoming sophomore.

Money is always a factor, especially in the economy’s current state, and it’s not surprising that many students return home for the summer to acquire that asset. Other students find themselves becoming full time residents of the University and city.

‘I decided to stay here for the summer to take a few extra classes,’ said Gary Huntz Jr., junior. ‘I’m an aviation major, so classes are demanding and take a lot of time.’

Although the reasons for residency in Bowling Green may differ from person to person, every explanation is valid. And though campus is much thinner in its summer months, there is still a considerable amount of students who make Bowling Green their home on a yearly basis.