Faculty Senate, Cartwright talk budget, enrollment issues

Change was yesterday’s theme both for the nation and the University’s Faculty Senate meeting.

President Carol Cartwright was welcomed at the meeting with roaring applause and a standing ovation shortly before addressing concerns pertaining to the University.

“I very much value your engagement and know we will be more successful if we work together, especially during this time of budget crunching,” she said.

In terms of budget crunching, the University is working towards a $6 million to $10 million deficit for the 2010 fiscal year, and probably for the 2011 fiscal year as well, Cartwright said.

Art Samel, associate geography professor, addressed his concerns about the University’s deficit within the College of Arts and Sciences.

“The arts and sciences budget is a sticky issue,” he said.

Samel was also concerned about budget deficits across campus, particularly the athletics department.

“Everything is on the table,” Cartwright said in response. “No one gets a buy. Athletics will have to make the same reduction as other units.”

Cartwright also said over 40 of the University’s administrative staff were notified in December about contract termination or changes at the end of the fiscal year, June 30.

Even though the next two fiscal years look grim for the University, Cartwright saw a glimmer of hope in regards to the possible Federal Stimulus package which is said to help higher education, along with a variety of other areas.

“Assuming there is a federal economic stimulus package, possible cuts to the state budget will not be as grim as the $7.3 million deficit,” Cartwright said. “The package is likely to change, but does look promising for states and communities.”

Another area that is being closely watched for change is enrollment.

Interim Vice Provost Enrollment Manager Greg Guzman addressed faculty senate yesterday with news on enrollment. Guzman remained hopeful, even after examining the numbers.

In March 2008 the amount of applications received was down by 70 percent. With this number in mind the University began seeking consultation to raise enrollment, Guzman said. Among other incentives, new scholarships were created and rooming incentives are being offered to generate more interest in the University. As of yesterday, Guzman said the application deficit has improved to 9.47 percent.

“Keep in mind that is compared to a 70 percent deficit,” Guzman said.

Other universities are experiencing similar deficits. The University of Michigan has a 14 percent deficit in received applications, Ohio State University has a 4 percent deficit and Ohio University has a 7 percent deficit, Guzman said.

“We’ve maintained ourselves while they simply fell off,” Guzman said in reference to the improved application deficit.

As of Nov. 24, 2008 enrollment for spring semester was down 14.3 percent. As of yesterday, it was down by 2.5 percent, Guzman said. The University is also at a three year high for retention at 91.75 percent, he said.

While Guzman may be constantly revising enrollment numbers, the University is also looking to revise its 30 year old general education – or BG Perspective – requirements for the future with the help of Keeling and Associates, a higher education consulting firm that helps schools examine general learning outcomes.

According to the document “BGSU’s Revision of General Education Requirements Aided by Keeling and Associates,” the goal of this revision is to allow students to synthesize their classes to help provide broader insight into social, civic, scientific and humane problems and challenges.

“We need to explore all vehicles that help students connect learning experiences,” said Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Mark Gromko.

The revision will also readjust the alignment between general education and the College of Arts and Sciences curriculums’ requirements.

“We want to keep [the curriculum] at a very practical level,” said Richard Hersh, Keeling and Associates senior consultant.

Aside from number crunching, the faculty senate also motioned to approve the Department of Architecture and Environmental Design with a unanimous vote of 47.