A female’s experience at night

On any given Thursday night this semester, people can find me coming back from my night class with my headphones in so I can listen to music and try to pump myself up for a new episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” that starts at 8 p.m. This past Thursday, my routine was slightly interrupted by someone coming up to me and tapping on my shoulder, asking where Hanna Hall was.

That act, in and of itself, isn’t a bad thing. It’s the fact that I had my headphones in and didn’t hear someone come up to me and was repeatedly tapped until my full attention was given to them. The worst part about it was it was another female who seemingly came out of nowhere.

Having been taken out of my normal routine (usually I can get home from class without being stopped by anyone), I wasn’t happy. It was late, I was tired and I just wanted to curl up in bed. Instead, I had to point out how to get to Hanna Hall to someone who I almost punched in the face because she scared the bejeezus out of me.

Which got me thinking: Why is it my first reaction is to punch someone when I’m tapped on my shoulder? To me, the answer’s easy. Women are taught to be on high alert when it’s nighttime and they’re by themselves because of the fear of being attacked. I didn’t know who was tapping me on my shoulder, therefore, I had to be ready to punch someone to defend myself.

As much as it sucks, that’s the world we live in.

After a few days of thinking about the innocent tapping (I told you all last week, I overthink everything), I realized why this woman tapped me on my shoulder and not someone else. First off, I’m small. I’m barely five feet tall. As much as I like to think I am sometimes, I’m not that intimidating. And, not that I like putting thoughts in people’s heads, but she probably thought that a woman would be less likely to attack her than if she asked a man who was walking around in the same area I was.

So, the lesson here for everyone: I’m okay with people coming up to me and asking how to get to certain places. I’m not okay with someone coming up from behind me and tapping me on the shoulder and making me turn around, not knowing what to expect. Learn the difference, and everything will be just fine.

Reply to Lauren at