Physical Sexual Assault Prevention Center necessary for campus

The sexual assault task force presented the idea for an on-campus center where advocates and other staff would be available for students who have sexually assaulted. This is a fantastic idea, and I think it really shows support for survivors on campus.

However, there is talk that this center would be a “virtual” center for survivors to access. This is a terrible idea and defeats the entire purpose of having a center in the first place.

When people are sexually assaulted, they are scared and lost. A physical space on campus would offer guidance, support and privacy, something that would greatly benefit survivors.

Those who feel unsafe on campus should have a space where they do feel safe, and those who have been physically assaulted will feel the most unsafe in places that are supposed to be home.

An online center, which is hardly a center at all, does not offer the security or the same level of individualized care survivors deserve.

An advocate from the Cocoon could help students decide what to do when they are assaulted and help them deal with the strong emotions they are feeling. If the advocate is not easily accessible on campus, this is putting an unnecessary burden on survivors.

The Counseling Center, while a great resource for students, is far away from campus and has limited hours. This limits the care the center can provide.

The same goes for the proposed Sexual Assault Prevention Center. If this space is not easily accessible for all students, then it limits the care that can be provided.

Prevention is also an important part of the center, and having a physical space for survivors shows the University supports them. This can do a small part in changing campus culture to be safer and to further condemn sexual assault.

Having a space where people are working on prevention efforts is also very important.

The task force and implementation team is doing a lot for students and survivors, but there is always more to be done. Having a physical Sexual Assault Prevention Center would greatly benefit students and the University’s culture.

This center is still in the works and nothing is confirmed as of now, but it is something important enough to be talked about, so that’s what people should be doing.

Sexual assault is a heavy and a complicated issue but is something that affects many people across the country and on campus.