U.S. votes against UN LGBT protections

If you’re still having trouble understanding how the Trump administration is actively hurting people, then look no further than the U.S. voting against a United Nations proposal that condemns countries that apply a death penalty to same-gender relations.

This is a choice that actively harms gay people. This vote can directly lead to death for LGBT+ people in certain countries.

Having a relationship with someone of your same gender is in no way a punishable offence, let alone one that deserves death. This is completely unacceptable and proof that the vulnerable people who need it most are not getting help from our government.

Agreeing to sentence queer people in other countries to death has a direct correlation with them being killed.

Fortunately, the resolution passed with a 27 to 13 lead, as well as seven countries that chose to abstain.

According to an Oct. 3 article from Buzzfeed news, the U.S. chose to vote against this resolution because the U.S. never votes against anything that condemns the death penalty. America is one of 25 countries that still utilizes the death penalty and are on the top five list of executioners, according to Amnesty International.

Any resolution denouncing capital punishment is a step towards the U.S. no longer being able to employ it, sure. But that doesn’t excuse the fact the mindset of our ambassador in the U.N. and of our current administration is that the protection of LGBT+ in our world is less important than our right to kill criminals.

Being arrested or killed for being gay is a real problem people face. This wasn’t some abstract vote on an issue that may or may not be affecting people.

BBC has been reporting on the “crackdown” on LGBT people in Egypt. Seven people were arrested for being seen holding a rainbow flag, which meant they were “promoting sexual deviancy.”

The Egyptian government is using dating apps to find and arrest LGBT Egyptians.

The active choice to not protect vulnerable people is one that speaks loud and clear, and you should be listening.

From a map on the Movement Advancement Project, in the U.S. only 50 percent of states have non-discrimination laws that protect people with a sexual orientation other than straight. Even less than that cover gender identity. Trans people are also in the vulnerable minority and barely receive governmental protection.

Also, three states, North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas, have legislation that stops the state from passing or enforcing non-discrimination laws for the LGBT+ community.

The LGBT+ community is not getting any protection from the U.S. government, so it is important that we stand up for and advocate for queer people.