Math lecturer, traveler and game enthusiast Janet Emerine died Feb. 18 in her office

Janet Emerine, 63, a lecturer of math education, died in her office Feb. 18.

But even though she was a lecturer as far as the University was concerned, she rarely lectured.

“I made a joke in her eulogy at her funeral that her official title was ‘lecturer,'” said Dan Brahier, a professor in math education. “Her teaching style was very hands-on.”

Brahier said Emerine had been at the University since 2004, though she began teaching when she was 19 years old. After 30 years, she retired, but then came back. When she died, she had been a teacher for 44 years.

Director of Public Safety James Wiegand said Emerine had a history of heart disease, and the preliminary result was that she died of heart disease. But the official report won’t be released from the coroner’s office until the toxicology tests are completed.

Brahier met Emerine in graduate school in the 1980s. She was a teacher and administrator for New Riegel, Ohio, schools. She had been active in the state math council and worked with Brahier and others on a team for assessing in-service teachers.

“She loved teaching and students so much,” he said. “She literally never got away from it.”

Brahier said the support after her death has been unwavering. He took over one of her classes where the students’ assignment was to create a game. Brahier was unsure when he would grade the projects when the teacher who taught that class last semester came in, took the games and graded them that night.

“It’s a mix of not only losing a colleague, but also a close friend,” he said.

Junior Jamie Caiati, a student in one of Emerine’s classes this semester, said she and her classmates were always up and moving around, doing activities in class.

“She was always excited and she loved what she did, and you knew it,” she said.

Caiati said Emerine would paint her fingernails according to the season, and she remembered walking in the door on the first day and seeing bright blue fingernails. The memory still makes her laugh.

“The hardest part is still going to that classroom and knowing she won’t walk through the door,” Caiati said.

Deb Gallagher, an assistant professor of education at Ohio Northern University, said Emerine had what it took to be a teacher.

“The students just thought the world of her,” she said.

Gallagher met Emerine close to 20 years ago when they participated in workshops together. Gallagher was also involved in the teacher assessment project with Brahier and Emerine.

And as much as she said students loved Emerine, she also said the feeling was mutual.

“Her students — she went above and beyond,” she said. “She had a really good relationship with her students.”

Gallagher said Emerine would meet students in the evenings, and during any free time she had if they had problems.

“I can’t tell you how many times students were struggling … and Janet would be there,” Gallagher said.

But Emerine’s passion wasn’t focused solely on the classroom; she spread it across every aspect of her life.

“She was every bit as engaged with her friends as she was with her students,” Gallagher said.

Emerine bowled and played bingo, euchre and pinochle when she wasn’t in school.

Brahier said if a meeting was scheduled and Emerine had a game planned, she would miss the meeting.

“She had these commitments on her calendar that were out of this world,” Brahier said. “The cards were just as important on her calendar as the classroom.”

Emerine also loved traveling.

Gallagher took a trip to Italy with Emerine and a few other teachers in 2008.

Gallagher said Emerine talked about her daughters and grandchildren constantly.

“She was just so much fun to be around,” she said. “She made it a point to learn as much as she could.”

Gallagher went to teach at ONU, but she and Emerine kept in touch. She said they had dinner a few weeks ago.

“She was looking forward to spending time with her grandkids,” Gallagher said.

After she died, Gallagher said she refused to believe it.

“For about the first week, I was just in denial,” she said. “Then after the funeral, it dawned on me. Indeed, she’s gone.”