Local band has dynamic sound, growing young and old fanbase

%26%23160%3B

Bowling Green-bred Flaming Hot Marbles has seen their fanbase grow on the local music scene largely on account of the sincerity of their performances and the complexity of their songwriting.

All members of the band were born and raised in Bowling Green. Flaming Hot Marbles is seniors Zack Fletcher (guitar, synth), Matt Cordy (bass), Alex Baird (drums) and freshman Dan Piotrowski (guitar, synth vocals). They have been together for roughly two and a half years, though they all played in various different bands throughout high school. Their name, according to Piotrowski, is based off a bit of “Home Alone” slapstick.

“It’s kind of like Joe Pesci getting punched in the face, is basically what it represents,” he said during a barroom interview at Howard’s Club H, bringing some band-wide chuckles.

Fletcher said the band’s sound has many styles that come together to form the whole.

“I like to classify it as hard rock, but there’s these influences from everything,” he said. “There’s progressive, there’s metal, there’s classic rock; it’s sort of a combination of all that.”

Inspiration for the band’s songs, Cordy said, derives from the struggles and lessons of everyday experiences.

“It’s just life,” he said. “That’s pretty much where it all starts — whatever we’re experiencing.”

Piotrowski said each member brings his own piece of patchwork to the sound-quilt of the band’s style, but all thread a hint of classic rock into the stitching.

“I think we all have that classic rock basis and then we each kind of branched out from there,” he said.

Piotrowski personally cited Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as his greatest influences, and this Floyd-love can be found in some of their songs’ ambient-influenced guitar solos. Their tracks at times can have melancholy lyrics contrasted by more uplifting rhythms and chord progressions, which allows for a kind of dual-purpose listenability that can be absorbed to stir whichever emotions the listeners opt to tune their minds to.

Though they ride the same wavelength today, relations between guitarists Fletcher and Piotrowski were not always so cheeky. Piotrowski joked about a brief resentment he held toward Fletcher following a song performance in high school that rendered him a comfortable amount of female attention Piotrowski would have preferred to have been his.

This animosity did not last long, however. The two healed the rift and began playing together while co-workers at a pizza shop here in town. Piotrowski was already collaborating with bassist Cordy and drummer Baird at the time. Fletcher had his own projects as well, but soon jumped ship to form the band they are today.

“We pretty much stole him,” Cordy said.

Once formed, the band began writing songs and playing out to promote their work, predominantly staging at Howard’s, which offers the best outlet for local acts. The Marbles began to roll.

Howard’s sound engineer and person in charge of booking, Maurice Austin, exalts Flaming Hot Marbles above the company of other local acts, in part because of their persistence.

“Their sound is cool; a kind of dirty, almost indie rock thing,” he said. “The main thing about them is their dedication. They’re always willing to get out there and play.”

Unlike many of the bands Austin deals with, he said, the Marbles lack any kind of ego. Money is never their objective, playing instead for the pure purpose of getting their music to listeners ready to hear it.

“Not a lot of bands are like that,” he said.

Austin said the band blending classic rock with garage-rock grunge allows them to appeal to of listeners both young and seasoned alike.

Further commenting on the honesty of their intentions, Austin recalled the band playing a Loud and Local Wednesdays show at Howard’s while the series was still in its embryonic stages. The crowd was beyond scant — a lone bartender and Austin alone — but the Marbles’ performance delivered as though the fact was lost on them.

“There was seriously no one there,” he laughed. “[But] they played like they were playing to a full room. I think that kind of illustrates who they are.”

Austin said he has seen a maturation of the band’s live performances over the years, as well as a growth of their fanbase, drawing larger crowds with each show.

“They’re a lot more confident in their vocals and in their delivery. Their stage presence has improved as well,” he said. “I think they’re really making an impression on people.”  

The band has played a slew of house parties in addition to their venue performances. Senior Ben Gorman is a neighbor to Cordy and has hosted the band for private gatherings in the past, with positive results.

“They play at our house sometimes and people always come in from off the street and from other houses when they hear them playing,” he said. “They have a complexity to their music that is very satisfying and draws people in.”

Flaming Hot Marbles has recorded one self-titled, eight-song album and are currently polishing an additional four tracks as part of a follow-up album in progress. In addition to Howard’s, the band has played other venues in Bowling Green such as Grumpy Dave’s and Nate and Wally’s Fish Bowl, where they held a CD-release party. Upcoming shows include a Nov. 8 show at Mickey Finn’s in Toledo and they will take the stage again at Howard’s Nov. 26.