BG1 offers usage at select off-campus venues

Students are now able to use their BG1cards at 12 off-campus sites.

The BG1Off-Campus Merchant Fair, which was held yesterday in Olscamp, allowed students to look at the many new off-campus sites allowing BG1 card usage.

“What we have done is we have invited any of our off-campus merchants that accept the BG Bucks card as a form of payment to set up a table and give out samples of their food or coupons to promote their establishment,” said BG1Card Manager Jean Coffield.

There were eight establishments set up for the fair, including Speedy Burrito, Chipotle, Easy Street Café, The Solarium, SamB’s, Falcon Food Mart, Jimmy Johns and Beat the Bookstore.

SBX, Dominoes, Papa John’s and Cinco de Mayo also support the BG1 card, but were not at the fair when The BG News was present.

Coffield said the reason the BG1 department started these offers is because they want to give students more options for eating. Students can “put money on their BG1 card” and then just “swipe their IDs” at these places, she said.

Customer Service Representative Emily Nye said since “a lot of people’s parents put money on [student’s] cards,” these select businesses are able to gain more customers while giving more options for students at the same time.

Nye said the point of the fair is to show students “where they can use their cards and what their options are.”

The businesses that were present also handed out free menus, coupons and samples.

Kelly Gordon, a representative from Speedy Burrito, said her business got involved with BG1 because it allowed better access to students.

Pat Torongo, Easy Street Café’s general manager, said he got involved with the BG1 department to give students alternative eating options.

Tawny Zitek, a freshman who attended the fair, said she was glad she stopped by and thought the fair was very informative.

Freshman Pam Tobolt said the fair was helpful because she now knows exactly where she can use her card off-campus.

Tobolt also said she would like to see other places offer this alternative in the future.

For more information about BG1 cards and where they can be used, visit www.bgsu.edu/bg1card.